Re: Trouble with .vimrc files on OS X Tiger

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2005
      On 01/06/05, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > 3. I'm not sure how this works on MacOsX but try creating an alias or a
      > softlink (or something) so that the gvim program be launched when you
      > invoke "vim". It should know that you invoked it as vim and start in
      > Console mode. If it starts in GUI mode nevertheless, try running "gvim
      > -v" (without the quotes).

      That won't work so well, actually, which should probably be construed
      as a bug. The gvim script bundled with OS X Vim backgrounds Vim
      automatically, which makes console Vim fail in interesting ways. The
      quick fix for this is to copy the gvim shell script to vim and remove
      the ampersand (&) from the last line. For that to work, of course,
      /usr/local/bin has to be ahead of /usr/bin in your path, or you can
      nuke the ancient OS X vim binary and replace it.

      Chris Allen