Re: GVIM crashed after installing Tiger.

  • Unnsse Khan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2005
      Chris,

      I got it from the macvim website....

      BTW, I received 2 copies of your e-mail... Maybe the new Unix that came with
      OS X Tiger, overwrote some libraries of my gvim?

      With thanks,

      Unnsse

      On 5/3/05 11:10 AM, "Chris Devers" <cdevers@...> wrote:

      > We got the message the first time you sent it.
      >
      > I'd love to help you, but my copy of Tiger hasn't shown up yet.
      >
      > When it arrives -- hopefully tomorrow -- I'll install it and will then
      > be happy to try to reproduce the error you're seeing...
      >
      > What instance of Gvim are you using ? Where did you get it ? Does Tiger
      > come with one, or is this something you downloaded ? Have you checked
      > that site for notes on Tiger compatibility ?

    • Nick Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2005
        Hi Chris,

        I think you did an upgrade install from Panther and are attempting to
        use a Vim.app built for Panther.

        Both of the 10.4 builds on macvim.org work for me.
        http://macvim.org/OSX/files/binaries/OSX10.4/
        vim_63_cscope_perl_python_tcl.tar.bz2

        Cheers,
        -Nick

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2005
          Nick,

          I downloaded Vim_63_Tiger.tar.bz2 from the link that you provided...

          And after placing the unzipped Vim.app inside my /Applications folder, I
          still am unable to run it from the command line and also from the Desktop.

          Has anyone experienced the same problem? Where am I supposed to place the
          Vim.app file?

          With thanks!

          -Unnsse

          On 5/3/05 12:24 PM, "Nick Smith" <nickls@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris,
          >
          > I think you did an upgrade install from Panther and are attempting to
          > use a Vim.app built for Panther.
          >
          > Both of the 10.4 builds on macvim.org work for me.
          > http://macvim.org/OSX/files/binaries/OSX10.4/
          > vim_63_cscope_perl_python_tcl.tar.bz2
          >
          > Cheers,
          > -Nick
          >
          > On May 3, 2005, at 11:57 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:
          >
          >> Chris,
          >>
          >> I got it from the macvim website....
          >>
          >> BTW, I received 2 copies of your e-mail... Maybe the new Unix that
          >> came with
          >> OS X Tiger, overwrote some libraries of my gvim?
          >>
          >> With thanks,
          >>
          >> Unnsse
          >>

          >> On 5/3/05 11:10 AM, "Chris Devers" <cdevers@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> We got the message the first time you sent it.
          >>>
          >>> I'd love to help you, but my copy of Tiger hasn't shown up yet.
          >>>
          >>> When it arrives -- hopefully tomorrow -- I'll install it and will
          >>> then
          >>> be happy to try to reproduce the error you're seeing...
          >>>
          >>> What instance of Gvim are you using ? Where did you get it ? Does
          >>> Tiger
          >>> come with one, or is this something you downloaded ? Have you checked
          >>> that site for notes on Tiger compatibility ?

        • Stephen Riehm
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2005
            Hi Unnsse,

            you can run Vim.app from anywhere. You don't have to actually
            "install" vim anywhere. If it's in /Applications you might find it a
            bit easier, that's all :-)

            I'm personally still using the 6.3.13 Version I had on Panther. No
            problems.

            I suspect it may have something to do with a perl macro/function in
            your environment. If you have another account on your machine, try
            starting vim from the other account.

            If it works in the other account, it could be that you need to re-
            compile vim yourself, specifically for your machine.

            Good luck,

            Steve

            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2005
              Ok...

              When I went to: http://macvim.org/OSX/files/binaries/OSX10.4/

              And tried the Vim_Tiger_7b69_gcc4.0.app.zip, it worked on OS X Tiger...

              I downloaded: vim_63_cscope_perl_python_tcl package from the same URL...

              I am wondering if I installed the Vim.app that comes with the perl_python,
              one, if I am overwriting the directories to a lower version or not? When I
              launch gvim from the command line it states that its:

              7.0aa ALPHA

              Is this a good version to be using?

              Thanks Nick, it actually did work!

              Regards,