[vim-mac] Uganda trip report

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2000
      As you all know (or should know), Vim is distributed under the charityware
      concept: If you like using Vim, you are requested to help a childrens centre
      in Uganda. In March I visited the project to see how they are doing. Below
      is my report. Hopefully this inspires you to (continue) support for the
      project. I will certainly do that myself! You can also read it on the net,
      with a couple of pictures:

      Also go there for more information on the project. If you have any remaining
      questions, ask me.

      There is a small clinic at the project, which has been improved over the last
      couple of years. More and more villagers know how to find the place. I was
      there on a market day, when over a hundred patients came for medical help. It
      was really crowded with patients waiting for treatment. On other days there
      are around thirty patients. Overall there are more than two hundred patients
      each week. Thus the clinic is providing a very important service to the
      community. I have spoken with a few locals, who said they are very happy with
      the medical help.

      The patients pay a small fee for treatment and medicine. This doesn't cover
      the actual cost though. Only through donations can we keep the clinic running,
      since the patients are not able to pay a higher fee. The Lisbloem school in
      Lisse (The Netherlands) raised a large amount, which has been used to buy a
      solar powered fridge. It stores the medicines that have to be kept in a cool
      place. The picture shows assistant nurse Boaz with the new fridge. Boaz is one
      of the orphans that grew up at the centre while I was working there in 94/95.
      He has been able to get an education through the sponsorship program. I was
      happy to see he is now working for the centre.

      There is one Ugandan nurse working full time, and a doctor visiting on market
      days. Hopefully the quality of the service provided can be improved the coming
      year. A small laboratory would be very useful, and more educated staff.

      The vocational school had just been extended with a tailoring section. I
      watched the pupils enjoying their first lessons. It is in a new building,
      together with the carpentry section which started last year. The school now
      goes from kindergarten, through primary and secondary to the vocational
      school. All teachers are now Ugandans and have proper training. There is a
      total of about four hundred children, who are enjoying the high quality of
      this school.

      Besides running the school in Kibaale, attention is given to teachers in
      schools of nearby villages. Many of these have had no more training than
      primary school themselves. Teacher training is now organised to improve their
      knowledge and teaching abilities. The teacher resource centre provides them
      with materials.

      I really enjoyed watching the children going to school. And they stay until
      late in the afternoon to play football and netball. Quite an improvement
      compared to the situation in 1993, when I first visited the project. Only
      three classes back then, and most teachers were not trained. Now the school is
      an example for the area.

      Many children cannot afford to pay their school fees. Therefore sponsors pay
      monthly to support them. I have visited eight of the sponsored children at
      their homes. The picture shows Nabasagi Morine, one of our youngest children.
      She is six years old and goes to the kindergarten class.

      Generally, these families are only just able to manage their household. They
      have the basic things like a house, some clothes and grow their own food.
      Nothing more than that. One family was below the average level though. Their
      house is leaking, there are no blankets for the children and no mattresses. I
      have asked the manager to give them at least a couple of blankets. Hopefully
      we find a way for them to be able to take care of themselves. That is better
      than have them depend on our gifts.

      There are still a lot of children who are not sponsored. Hopefully we will
      find more sponsors this year. The office that takes care of the sponsored
      children, called Kibaale Childrens Fund (KCF) is running very well. There are
      two Ugandans, who visit the children, managed by a Canadian volunteer. They
      make sure the children are able to attend school, visit them at home and take
      them to hospital when needed. I accompanied three children to hospital,
      together with an assistant nurse. The garden of the hospital looks great, but
      the quality of the medical care is low. But there is no other place with a
      qualified doctor and a laboratory. We might try to improve our own clinic to
      work around this problem.

      I can see quite a bit of improvement since my last visit in 1998. Roads have
      been fixed, there is more traffic and business. The Kibaale Childrens Centre
      is running very well and mainly with Ugandan staff. The school is operating
      very well, and the clinic provides health care to many patients. The coming
      time will be focused on maintaining the project and further improving the
      quality. I will certainly support that.

      - Bram Moolenaar

      Arthur C. Clarke