VIM on Mac OS X

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
      I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
      This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.

      [My perspective is that of someone who's been USING unix for a long,
      long time to get my work done. I've never managed a unix system nor
      have I programmed anything on a unix box in years. So while I'm
      thoroughly comfortable with the unix gestalt, I'd need help compiling a
      binary or something.]

      Thanks,
      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
    • Ken Scott
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
        If you have the Developer Tools installed, then having vim in Terminal is
        simple. Just download the current Unix source code, expand it somewhere
        (your home directory is fine) and run the following:
        ./configure
        make
        sudo make install
        rehash

        vim will now be available in Terminal.

        I've been trying the build the Carbonized gvim (which is supposed to work
        in the current sources), but it dies as soon as I start it. :(

        HTH,
        Ken Scott

        --
        ><> Ken Scott kscott@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

        This is the day that the Lord has made;
        I will rejoice and be glad in it! -- Psalm 118:24
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
          On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
          :
          : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
          : This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.

          1) making a working directory

          $ mkdir vim-work
          $ cd vim-work

          1) download the source

          $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt1.tar.gz
          $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt2.tar.gz
          $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src1.tar.gz
          $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src2.tar.gz

          2) unpack the files:

          $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-rt1.tar.gz
          $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-rt2.tar.gz
          $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-src1.tar.gz
          $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-src2.tar.gz

          3) download the patches

          $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.0.${a}; done

          4) apply the patches

          $ cd vim60
          $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do patch -p1 < ../6.0.${a}; done

          5) build and install

          $ ./configure
          $ make
          $ sudo make install

          p.s. this is bourne shell, i don't do csh programming
          p.p.s haven't actually tested these steps, but you get the idea

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
            Eugene Lee wrote:

            > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
            > :
            > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
            > : This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.

            [6 steps snipped]

            Thanks for the detailed instructions. For those who do not have the
            "developer tools" installed (tsk, tsk) there are pre-compiled versions
            available. Here is one link (with one of the beta versions of Vim 6.0):
            http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html#vim

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Eugene Lee
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
              On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:13:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
              :
              : Eugene Lee wrote:
              : >
              : > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
              : > :
              : > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
              : > : This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.
              : >
              : [6 steps snipped]
              :
              : Thanks for the detailed instructions. For those who do not have the
              : "developer tools" installed (tsk, tsk) there are pre-compiled versions
              : available. Here is one link (with one of the beta versions of Vim 6.0):
              : http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html#vim

              No problemo. I'm waiting for a version of MacVim that can be compiled
              with Apple's Developer Tools to make a nice Cocoa app. :)

              --
              Eugene Lee
              eugene@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 16, 2001
                On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Eugene Lee wrote:

                > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:13:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                > :
                > : Eugene Lee wrote:
                > : >
                > : > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
                > : > :
                > : > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
                > : > : This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.
                > : >
                > : [6 steps snipped]
                > :
                > : Thanks for the detailed instructions. For those who do not have the
                > : "developer tools" installed (tsk, tsk) there are pre-compiled versions
                > : available. Here is one link (with one of the beta versions of Vim 6.0):
                > : http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html#vim
                >
                > No problemo. I'm waiting for a version of MacVim that can be compiled
                > with Apple's Developer Tools to make a nice Cocoa app. :)

                The current Vim source code (if you include the extra archive) is supposed
                to build a Carbon version of Vim. In my experience, this is technically
                true -- I can build it, but as soon as I try to run it, it dies with a
                signal 10 (SIGBUS) error as soon as the initial window opens.

                Any clues of where to start looking would be cool. I'm brand new to
                programming on the Mac, not to mention OS X.

                Ken

                --

              • gmark@svs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 16, 2001
                  On Tuesday, October 16, 2001, at 12:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:

                  > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:13:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  > :
                  > : Eugene Lee wrote:
                  > : >
                  > : > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
                  > : > :
                  > : > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be
                  > appreciated.

                  I must be missing something. I've been using it in terminal, but haven't
                  been able to get an OSX-native desktop icon VIM.

                  Mark
                • Ken Scott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 18, 2001
                    on 10/16/01 5:25pm, gmark@... at gmark@... wrote:

                    > On Tuesday, October 16, 2001, at 12:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
                    >
                    >> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:13:02PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                    >> :
                    >> : Eugene Lee wrote:
                    >> : >
                    >> : > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
                    >> : > :
                    >> : > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be
                    >> appreciated.
                    >>
                    > I must be missing something. I've been using it in terminal, but haven't
                    > been able to get an OSX-native desktop icon VIM.

                    I have not been able to build a functioning gvim for Mac OS X either. I am
                    hopeful that the Carbon version will start behaving for me.

                    Ken

                    --
                    <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

                    This is the day that the Lord has made;
                    Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24
                  • Eugene Lee
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2001
                      On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:00:58PM -0600, Ken Scott wrote:
                      :
                      : on 10/16/01 5:25pm, gmark@... at gmark@... wrote:
                      : >
                      : > I must be missing something. I've been using it in terminal, but
                      : > haven't been able to get an OSX-native desktop icon VIM.
                      :
                      : I have not been able to build a functioning gvim for Mac OS X either.
                      : I am hopeful that the Carbon version will start behaving for me.

                      Gvim is an X11 app. It runs fine if you have XFree86 and XDarwin
                      installed. But this is not the same thing as a Cocoa/Carbon app that
                      runs native on OS X's windowing system (Quartz), has its own icon, etc.

                      --
                      Eugene Lee
                      eugene@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 25, 2001
                        Eugene Lee wrote:

                        > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:09:30PM -0400, david craig wrote:
                        > :
                        > : I'd like vim available in terminal. Any guidance would be appreciated.
                        > : This is separate (or is it?) from a carbonized version of MacVIM.

                        Here is a modification of Eugene Lee's instructions. The main changes
                        are to the method of applying patches (which still gives some warning
                        messages, I am not sure why) and using the default shell (tcsh)

                        0) making a working directory

                        $ mkdir vim-work
                        $ cd vim-work

                        1) download the source

                        $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt1.tar.gz
                        $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt2.tar.gz
                        $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src1.tar.gz
                        $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src2.tar.gz

                        I used

                        $ ftp ftp.rge.com
                        ftp> cd pub/editors/vim/unix
                        ftp> mget vim-6.0*

                        Next time, I will get the bzipped version: just one file, and smaller
                        total size. You can get bzip2 from
                        http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html
                        (and also a pre-compiled terminal version of vim).

                        2) unpack the files:

                        $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-rt1.tar.gz
                        $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-rt2.tar.gz
                        $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-src1.tar.gz
                        $ gnutar zxf vim-6.0-src2.tar.gz

                        3) download the patches

                        $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do curl -O
                        ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.0.${a}; done

                        That looks like bourne syntax; I used ftp again, hitting <Enter> a couple
                        of dozen times...

                        4) apply the patches

                        $ cd vim60
                        $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do patch -p1 < ../6.0.${a}; done

                        I think that should be -p2. In tcsh,

                        % gunzip 6.0*gz
                        % cd vim60
                        % foreach a (../6.0*)
                        foreach -> patch -p2 <${a}
                        foreach -> end

                        5) build and install

                        $ ./configure
                        $ make
                        $ sudo make install

                        This works like a charm.

                        --Benji Fisher
                      • Eugene Lee
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 25, 2001
                          On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:38:52AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          :
                          : 1) download the source
                          :
                          : $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt1.tar.gz
                          : $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-rt2.tar.gz
                          : $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src1.tar.gz
                          : $ curl -O ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.0-src2.tar.gz
                          :
                          : I used
                          :
                          : $ ftp ftp.rge.com
                          : ftp> cd pub/editors/vim/unix
                          : ftp> mget vim-6.0*

                          I didn't use the interactive FTP method, because I don't know how many
                          people actually know how to use the command-line FTP client.

                          : 3) download the patches
                          :
                          : $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do curl -O
                          : ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.0.${a}; done

                          The "11" needs to be corrected to "27" (that's how many patches there
                          are now :).

                          : That looks like bourne syntax; I used ftp again, hitting <Enter> a couple
                          : of dozen times...

                          If folks are willing to use the command-line FTP client, forget jot!

                          $ ftp ftp.us.vim.org
                          ftp> cd pub/editors/vim/patches
                          ftp> mget 6.0.*

                          : 4) apply the patches
                          :
                          : $ cd vim60
                          : $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do patch -p1 < ../6.0.${a}; done

                          Or forget jot again!

                          $ cd vim60
                          $ for a in ../6.0.*; do patch -p1 < ${a}; done

                          --
                          Eugene Lee
                          eugene@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 25, 2001
                            Eugene Lee wrote:

                            [snip]
                            > : 4) apply the patches
                            > :
                            > : $ cd vim60
                            > : $ for a in `jot -w%03d 11`; do patch -p1 < ../6.0.${a}; done
                            >
                            > Or forget jot again!
                            >
                            > $ cd vim60
                            > $ for a in ../6.0.*; do patch -p1 < ${a}; done

                            I still think it should be -p2. Maybe I am wrong: yesterday was my
                            first experience using the patch program, and I had to spend some time with
                            "man patch". Here are the relevant lines from patch 6.0.002:

                            *** ../vim60.1/src/option.c Wed Sep 26 16:25:52 2001
                            --- src/option.c Thu Sep 27 09:44:40 2001

                            If we already did "cd vim60" then I think we want to use -p2, effectively
                            changing "../vim60.1/src/option.c" to "src/option.c" right? Since the patches
                            use directories like vim60.1, it is not convenient to apply them from the
                            parent of the vim60 directory.

                            --Benji Fisher
                          • Eugene Lee
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 25, 2001
                              On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:24:08PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                              :
                              : Eugene Lee wrote:
                              : >
                              : > $ cd vim60
                              : > $ for a in ../6.0.*; do patch -p1 < ${a}; done
                              :
                              : I still think it should be -p2.

                              The README in the patches directory suggests this:

                              Before patching, change to the top Vim directory, where the "src"
                              and "runtime" directories are located.
                              Depending on the version of "patch" that you use, you may have add
                              an argument to make it patch the right file:
                              patch -p < 5.5.001
                              patch -p0 < 5.5.001

                              BTW, I never follow the vim60/vim60.1/etc. convention of renaming the
                              top-level Vim directory. I always find it more confusing. :)

                              --
                              Eugene Lee
                              eugene@...
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 25, 2001
                                On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Eugene Lee wrote:

                                > On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:24:08PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                                > :
                                > : Eugene Lee wrote:
                                > : >
                                > : > $ cd vim60
                                > : > $ for a in ../6.0.*; do patch -p1 < ${a}; done
                                > :
                                > : I still think it should be -p2.
                                >
                                > The README in the patches directory suggests this:
                                >
                                > Before patching, change to the top Vim directory, where the "src"
                                > and "runtime" directories are located.
                                > Depending on the version of "patch" that you use, you may have add
                                > an argument to make it patch the right file:
                                > patch -p < 5.5.001
                                > patch -p0 < 5.5.001
                                >
                                > BTW, I never follow the vim60/vim60.1/etc. convention of renaming the
                                > top-level Vim directory. I always find it more confusing. :)

                                FWIW, I've always done "patch -p0 < blah" from the top level vim directory
                                (vim60 these days) and have never had a problem.

                                Thanks for the for snippet to apply patches. I hadn't gotten around to
                                figuring out that part yet, and it will make it goe much faster now.

                                Ken