Window title not set when vim mac not started from command line

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm using Vim.app from http://macvim.org/OSX/ and I have noticed that
      the behaviour is not the same when I start it by launching (double
      clicking) the application, or using the provided gvim script to start it
      from a terminal. In the first case, the title of the window is always
      "/", whereas in the second (using the terminal), I get the current file
      name in the title, as expected.

      Is there something I can do to have the window title set up when
      launching Vim from the Finder?

      Thanks a lot,

      Alan Schmitt
    • Andre Berger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
        * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...>, 2005-01-17 14:03 +0100:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm using Vim.app from http://macvim.org/OSX/ and I have noticed that
        > the behaviour is not the same when I start it by launching (double
        > clicking) the application, or using the provided gvim script to start it
        > from a terminal. In the first case, the title of the window is always
        > "/", whereas in the second (using the terminal), I get the current file
        > name in the title, as expected.
        >
        > Is there something I can do to have the window title set up when
        > launching Vim from the Finder?

        Putting "set title" in your ~/.gvimrc should do the trick I guess.

        :h title
        :h titlestring

        -Andre
      • Alan Schmitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
          Le 17 janv. 05, à 14:13, Andre Berger a écrit :

          > * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...>, 2005-01-17 14:03
          > +0100:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I'm using Vim.app from http://macvim.org/OSX/ and I have noticed that
          >> the behaviour is not the same when I start it by launching (double
          >> clicking) the application, or using the provided gvim script to start
          >> it
          >> from a terminal. In the first case, the title of the window is always
          >> "/", whereas in the second (using the terminal), I get the current
          >> file
          >> name in the title, as expected.
          >>
          >> Is there something I can do to have the window title set up when
          >> launching Vim from the Finder?
          >
          > Putting "set title" in your ~/.gvimrc should do the trick I guess.
          >
          > :h title
          > :h titlestring

          Thanks for the pointers, that did it. I had a:
          let &titlestring=...
          in my .vimrc, but it was not enough, I had to do a
          auto BufEnter * let &titlestring=...
          to start having something (which is kind of strange, as entering the
          "let ..." after vim has started gives me the correct result). But as
          this is given as an example in the help, it can only be right ;-)

          Alan Schmitt
        • Andre Berger
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
            * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...>, 2005-01-18 17:05 +0100:
            > Le 17 janv. 05, à 14:13, Andre Berger a écrit :
            >
            > >* Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...>, 2005-01-17 14:03
            > >+0100:
            > >>Hello,
            > >>
            > >>I'm using Vim.app from http://macvim.org/OSX/ and I have noticed that
            > >>the behaviour is not the same when I start it by launching (double
            > >>clicking) the application, or using the provided gvim script to start
            > >>it
            > >>from a terminal. In the first case, the title of the window is always
            > >>"/", whereas in the second (using the terminal), I get the current
            > >>file
            > >>name in the title, as expected.
            > >>
            > >>Is there something I can do to have the window title set up when
            > >>launching Vim from the Finder?
            > >
            > >Putting "set title" in your ~/.gvimrc should do the trick I guess.
            > >
            > >:h title
            > >:h titlestring
            >
            > Thanks for the pointers, that did it. I had a:
            > let &titlestring=...
            > in my .vimrc, but it was not enough, I had to do a
            > auto BufEnter * let &titlestring=...
            > to start having something (which is kind of strange, as entering the
            > "let ..." after vim has started gives me the correct result). But as
            > this is given as an example in the help, it can only be right ;-)

            Sorry Alan, I actually wanted to include an example, but I was in a
            hurry so I forgot to do it. Would have saved you some time :(

            FYI, "auto BufEnter" will not update the title with ":saveas".
            Haven't found a solution yet. Anyone?

            -Andre
          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
              Le 18 janv. 05, à 17:10, Andre Berger a écrit :

              > * Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@...>, 2005-01-18 17:05
              > +0100:
              >
              >> Thanks for the pointers, that did it. I had a:
              >> let &titlestring=...
              >> in my .vimrc, but it was not enough, I had to do a
              >> auto BufEnter * let &titlestring=...
              >> to start having something (which is kind of strange, as entering the
              >> "let ..." after vim has started gives me the correct result). But as
              >> this is given as an example in the help, it can only be right ;-)
              >
              > Sorry Alan, I actually wanted to include an example, but I was in a
              > hurry so I forgot to do it. Would have saved you some time :(

              Well, it was good for education purposes ;-)

              Thanks again.

              Alan