Unicode + Localized menus patch for Vim 7 alpha

  • Da Woon Jung
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2005

      I've completed an experimental Unicode and localized menus patch for
      the forthcoming Vim 7 (Mac OS X). A 10.3 Panther binary (+cscope +perl
      +python +ruby +tcl) plus a source patch should be released pretty soon
      on http://macvim.org/OSX/. It ought to work with any existing
      gvimrc/vimrc/plugins that you have.

      Please note that this patch is unofficial and any questions regarding
      it should be sent directly to me. Also, Vim 7 itself is still in alpha
      so please don't upload it to file download sites yet (Vim 7 is not yet
      available even on www.vim.org). The purpose of providing a binary is
      purely to test this patch. With these in mind, this is a summary of
      what's changed by the patch:

      - Full Unicode support. You can now read, write Unicode (utf-8,
      utf-16, etc) files, input Unicode text, and copy/paste Unicode text.
      CJK has been tested and known to work "out of the box."

      To elaborate, Vim sets its encoding setting to utf-8 when it starts
      up, and the system automatically chooses a valid font for the current
      input method. If you want to override what font is used for
      international characters, set guifontwide.

      - International filenames are properly displayed precomposed in the
      title bar, and when pasted into Vim.

      - Vim autodetects the current system language when launched and sets
      the language for its menus accordingly.

      While this has been tested for US English and CJK, if you suspect that
      autodetection is not working properly for other languages you can
      manually set the language via the LANG environment variable (a better
      solution would be to send me a bug report).

      Limitations:
      - Localized error and status messages not implemented yet.
      - Unicode will probably only work on OS X 10.3 and later due to
      reliance on the iconv library. Adventurous users could probably get
      things to work even on 10.2, if they provide their own libiconv.

      Cheers,
      DW