Re: Help w/ invoking gVim from command line, increasing font size, etc.

  • Ken Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
      On Dec 12, 2004, at 9:01 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

      > Fellow vimmers:
      >
      > I downloaded the compiled version of vim from the vimmac URL, that you
      > provided...
      >
      > It still has the same error when I try to run the GUI vim from the
      > command
      > line.
      >
      > Last login: Sun Dec 12 19:40:43 on console
      > Welcome to Darwin!
      > Raven:~ untz$ vim -g
      > E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time
      > Raven:~ untz$

      Your problem here is that typing "vim" at the command line will run the
      version of Vim that is installed with OS X. This version does not have
      graphics support included.

      > Where should I move the executable and what is the executable?
      >
      > How do you run it on OSX? Do you use ./filename?

      In the file you downloaded, you should have found a Vim.app (that you
      could copy to the Application folder), as well as a couple of other
      files. One of these is a shell script named gvim. Copy this to
      somewhere on your path, and then type gvim in your terminal window. You
      should get the Carbon version of Vim opening then.

      > Also, how can I permanently increase the font size of my fonts?

      gvimrc is the place for this. Vim help files will tell you all about it.

      > When I am writing code, for example:
      >
      > public double getPrice() {
      > return price;
      > }
      >
      > Using my WinXP gvim, the } bracket correctly repositions itself to be
      > underneath public but with this version of gvim (I was forced to run
      > it from
      > the desktop), the } goes all the way to the left side of the screen.

      This sounds like a difference in gvimrc (or vimrc) files.

      --
      <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://hobbes.optikos.net/~ken

      This is the day that the Lord has made;
      Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24