Vim cursor

  • Jan Eden
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004

      there is one feature in gvim I really like, namely the change of the cursor to a thin line to reflect the insert mode. Is this available in the CLI version, too?

      Thanks,

      Jan
      --
      If all else fails read the instructions. - Donald Knuth
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
        Jan Eden wrote:

        > there is one feature in gvim I really like, namely the change of the
        > cursor to a thin line to reflect the insert mode. Is this available in
        > the CLI version, too?

        If you can find out the escape sequence that the terminal uses to change
        the cursor shape.

        Currently sending an escape sequence on entering/leaving Insert mode is
        not implemented for Mac OS, but it's quite simple to add. Thinking of
        this, a generic solution would be to add entries to allow you to set the
        escape sequences. Then you can set them when you know what the terminal
        supports.

        --
        Contrary to popular belief, it's often your clothing that gets promoted, not
        you.

      • Jan Eden
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
          Hi Bram,

          Bram Moolenaar wrote on 07.12.2004:

          >Jan Eden wrote:
          >
          >>there is one feature in gvim I really like, namely the change of
          >>the cursor to a thin line to reflect the insert mode. Is this
          >>available in the CLI version, too?
          >
          >If you can find out the escape sequence that the terminal uses to
          >change the cursor shape.
          >
          >Currently sending an escape sequence on entering/leaving Insert mode
          >is not implemented for Mac OS, but it's quite simple to add.
          >Thinking of this, a generic solution would be to add entries to
          >allow you to set the escape sequences. Then you can set them when
          >you know what the terminal supports.

          Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with escape sequences in Apple's Terminal, but I will try to find something on this.

          Cheers,

          Jan
          --
          Remember: use logout to logout.