Re: Pathing issue (cmd line invocation trouble)

  • David Fortin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
      Copy the gvim executable to your path.
      To see your path type `echo $PATH` This will give you
      output such as: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
      All of these directories are searched when a command is typed
      at the command line.

      /vim/gvim.app/Contents/MacOS/gvim is the executable.

      You will need to be root to do this.

      You may need to log out of the terminal after you copy this file into
      your path.

      On Dec 3, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Chris Devers wrote:

      > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Unnsse Khan wrote:
      >
      >> How do I set the path where I can invoke gvim from the command line by
      >> typing gvim?
      >
      > Check out the `open` command:
      >
      > $ open -a /Developer/vim /path/to/file
      >
      > or even simply
      >
      > $ open -a vim /path/to/file
      >
      > Wrapping this up in a 1 line shell script would be easy.
      >
      >> Also, how do I set the background to black and the foreground to
      >> white?
      >
      > One way is to pick a color scheme -- let's say "torte", which has a
      > black background and white text -- and call it in your ~/.gvimrc:
      >
      > color torte
      >
      > That should make the color declaration automatic.
      >

      > --
      > Chris Devers

    • Matthew J. Stott
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
        The Panther version of vim 6.2 console (no GUI) is located in /usr/bin
        which is in your path.

        You can do several things, but the easiest most reliable (will
        withstand an Apple upgrade),
        would be to create an alias to point vim to the ViM 6.3 version at the
        console.

        Within ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc (dotfile within your home directory)

        alias vim="/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"

        This will substitute vim with /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        whenever you type vim
        at the console. If you pass the parameter -g to the vim alias, it will
        then launch the GUI Vim. You
        could create another alias to handle the GUI version.

        alias gvim="/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g"

        Obviously, change the path from
        /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim to
        /Developer/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim or where you installed Vim.app.
        (.app is hidden in Apple finder but visible from console).

        You specify color schemes inside your .vimrc or .gvimrc. The .vimrc is
        used by the console
        vim and .gvimrc is used when the GUI vim is launched. If you want both
        to be the same just
        use .vimrc.

        Within ~/.vimrc

        syntax on
        colorscheme torte

        I've specified torte but there are many others. Launch the GUI vim and
        click Edit then Colorscheme
        and try a few of them out. Decide which one you like best and set it
        in your .vimrc file.

        On Dec 2, 2004, at 11:56 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

        > If I downloaded the latest version of vim to /Developer/vim/
        >
        > How do I set the path where I can invoke gvim from the command line by
        > typing gvim?
        >
        > Also, how do I set the background to black and the foreground to white?
      • Chris Devers
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
          On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, David Fortin wrote:

          > Copy the gvim executable to your path.
          > To see your path type `echo $PATH` This will give you
          > output such as: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
          > All of these directories are searched when a command is typed
          > at the command line.
          >
          > /vim/gvim.app/Contents/MacOS/gvim is the executable.
          >
          > You will need to be root to do this.

          Which is to say, you use sudo, because in the 21st century almost no one
          ever needs to be root to do anything reasonable, especially on a Mac.

          So, the proper command might be something like this:

          $ sudo ln -s /path/to/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/gvim /usr/local/bin/

          Or if you have a collection of scripts in your ~/bin, then dispense with
          sudo altogether:

          $ ln -s /path/to/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/gvim ~/bin/

          (If ~/bin isn't in your path, edit the relevant ~/.*shrc to add it.)

          > You may need to log out of the terminal after you copy this file into
          > your path.

          If you're using tcsh, a `rehash` should make the link visible.

          If you're using bash, it should be available automatically.

          If you've edited your path, `source ~/.tcshrc` will work for tcsh and
          `source ~/.bashrc` will work for bash.

          --
          Chris Devers