Problems compiling 6.0ap

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      OK. I'll be honest. This is the first time I've actually REALLY tried to get vim to compile on a mac. I'm trying both with CWPro5 and MPW. However, there's a severe lack of documentation when it comes to compiling on MacOS. So, I have 2 questions:

      1) How do I compile the codewarrior project? i.e. how to get around the error that the project was created with a newer version and won't open?

      2) How do I compile in MPW. As this is the first thing I've tried to do which wasn't written "for" MPW, i have literally no clue what to do. I've tried making the Makefile, but can't seem to figure it out. Is there an MPW project I'm overlooking? And is there some way I should run configure first?

      I'm sorry if these questions sound like elementary to you, but I've been pulling my hair out since ap was announced trying to get it to compile. I had the same problem with ao, but never got around to the patches. I had thought that *maybe* those would have fixed it. But as lame as I am, I couldn't even figure out how to apply the patches from within MPW.

      Unrelated note, and practically unimportant: the file .../lang/*(taiwan).950.vim seems to be an invalid filename on MacOS. (Name too long) Any ideas so suntar doesn't complain whenever i extract the archives again?

      --Matt

      P.S. PLEASE don't harm me for not knowing the "basics" in these compilers. I'm essentially taking a crash course in both right now...

      P.P.S. Are there any issues with building a FAT application? And are there recommended settings for optimization/speed/file size/etc.?
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
        Le Vendredi 3 août 2001, à 01:13, Matt a écrit :

        > OK. I'll be honest. This is the first time I've actually REALLY tried
        > to get vim to compile on a mac. I'm trying both with CWPro5 and MPW.
        > However, there's a severe lack of documentation when it comes to
        > compiling on MacOS. So, I have 2 questions:

        I started to update INSTALLmac.txt, as there's now too many way to
        compile vim on a Mac. I have attached a copy, its a bit drafty and the
        old file is still at the end, but it should help. Comments are more than
        welcome.

        [Bram feel free to include it in the distribution (it's far from
        perfect, but it's a little bit better than the current one)]

        > 1) How do I compile the codewarrior project? i.e. how to get around the
        > error that the project was created with a newer version and won't open?

        CW Pro 5 should ask if you want to convert the project. Once the project
        is converted it should work. The only problem is that you need to add a
        few file to the project: move.c, mbyte.c, ex_cmds2.c, and fold.c.

        > 2) How do I compile in MPW. As this is the first thing I've tried to do
        > which wasn't written "for" MPW, i have literally no clue what to do.
        > I've tried making the Makefile, but can't seem to figure it out. Is
        > there an MPW project I'm overlooking? And is there some way I should
        > run configure first?
        >
        > I'm sorry if these questions sound like elementary to you, but I've
        > been pulling my hair out since ap was announced trying to get it to
        > compile. I had the same problem with ao, but never got around to the
        > patches. I had thought that *maybe* those would have fixed it. But as
        > lame as I am, I couldn't even figure out how to apply the patches from
        > within MPW.
        >
        > Unrelated note, and practically unimportant: the file
        > .../lang/*(taiwan).950.vim seems to be an invalid filename on MacOS.
        > (Name too long) Any ideas so suntar doesn't complain whenever i extract
        > the archives again?
        >
        > --Matt
        >
        > P.S. PLEASE don't harm me for not knowing the "basics" in these
        > compilers. I'm essentially taking a crash course in both right now...
        >
        > P.P.S. Are there any issues with building a FAT application? And are
        > there recommended settings for optimization/speed/file size/etc.?

        The only real recommendation is to increased the memory allocated to
        VIm, without that syntax highlighting won't work.

        Dany

        <Pièce jointe manquante>
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
          Dany St-Amant wrote:

          > [Bram feel free to include it in the distribution (it's far from
          > perfect, but it's a little bit better than the current one)]

          OK, I'll do that. Please make further changes on top of this version.

          Thanks!

          144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."

        • Mac Vim Support
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
            >I started to update INSTALLmac.txt, as there's now too many way to compile vim on a Mac. I have attached a copy, its a bit drafty and the old file is still at the end, but it should help. Comments are more than welcome.

            Here is the additional information needed for MPW and the build scripts to make live easier. With this information it is possible to compile Vim but the resulting program isn't very useful.

            Nevertheless, after mastering the first steps with MPW (it took me some time to understand how MPW works) it should be possible to attack problems in the code.

            BTW, the compiler complains about unused variables in gui_mac.c and a ; in farsi.c. I haven't submitted patches for that yet.

            Axel

            PS: CreateVimMake and CreateVimMake.carbon contain only one line each. Just in case some program tries to reformat these files.
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
              Axel Kielhorn wrote:

              > >I started to update INSTALLmac.txt, as there's now too many way to compile
              > >vim on a Mac. I have attached a copy, its a bit drafty and the old file is
              > >still at the end, but it should help. Comments are more than welcome.
              >
              > Here is the additional information needed for MPW and the build scripts to
              > make live easier. With this information it is possible to compile Vim but
              > the resulting program isn't very useful.

              I'll apply the diff. Please keep updating the file.

              Should I include the build scripts with the distribution? And in which
              directory? They look like the "src" path is included.

              242. You turn down a better-paying job because it doesn't come with
              a free e-mail account.