Re: compiling with +clientserver

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
      Lev Lvovsky wrote:

      > Try as I might, I cannot get the +clientserver option compiled into
      > vim. I've tried with Darwin Ports, as well as with the source directly
      > from vim.org. To enable the option, I've modified feature.h thusly:
      >
      > /* #if (defined(WIN32) || defined(FEAT_XCLIPBOARD)) &&
      > defined(FEAT_EVAL) */
      > # define FEAT_CLIENTSERVER
      > /* #endif */
      >
      > basically having it define FEAT_CLIENTSERVER right off the bat. Doing
      > this, I get these errors like those at the bottom of this message,
      > however, if I simply run the configure script, with the
      > --with-clientserver option, I still get '-clientserver' in the version
      > output.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated - my goal is toget vim working in a
      > server-mode, so that I can use it as my default editor in Xcode.

      The client-server functionality requires compiling with X11. The X
      server is used for the communication between server and client.

      I don't think you want to compile the Mac version with X11 support,
      since it would then require starting X11 to be able to run Vim.
      Re-implementing the client-server functionality with another mechanism
      would be required. A nice challenge for the Christmas break?

      --
      The Law of VIM:
      For each member b of the possible behaviour space B of program P, there exists

    • Lev Lvovsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
        To be honest, that actually wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me (running
        X11), seeing as I could run it only when I intend to use it with Xcode.
        Out of curiosity, it seems like the Xwindows communication mechanism
        is pretty ingrained in both Emacs and Vim, is swapping that out even
        realistic?

        In the case that I want to compile with the clientserver option, how
        would I go about doing that? I've told the configure script where all
        of my X11 headers are, and yet it still bombs out as shown below...

        Thanks!
        -lev

        On Nov 23, 2004, at 2:03 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Lev Lvovsky wrote:
        >
        >> Try as I might, I cannot get the +clientserver option compiled into
        >> vim. I've tried with Darwin Ports, as well as with the source
        >> directly
        >> from vim.org. To enable the option, I've modified feature.h thusly:
        >>
        >> /* #if (defined(WIN32) || defined(FEAT_XCLIPBOARD)) &&
        >> defined(FEAT_EVAL) */
        >> # define FEAT_CLIENTSERVER
        >> /* #endif */
        >>
        >> basically having it define FEAT_CLIENTSERVER right off the bat. Doing
        >> this, I get these errors like those at the bottom of this message,
        >> however, if I simply run the configure script, with the
        >> --with-clientserver option, I still get '-clientserver' in the version
        >> output.
        >>
        >> Any help would be appreciated - my goal is toget vim working in a
        >> server-mode, so that I can use it as my default editor in Xcode.
        >
        > The client-server functionality requires compiling with X11. The X
        > server is used for the communication between server and client.
        >
        > I don't think you want to compile the Mac version with X11 support,
        > since it would then require starting X11 to be able to run Vim.
        > Re-implementing the client-server functionality with another mechanism
        > would be required. A nice challenge for the Christmas break?
        >
        > --
        > The Law of VIM:
        > For each member b of the possible behaviour space B of program P,
        > there exists
        > a finite time t before which at least one user u in the total user
        > space U of
        > program P will request b becomes a member of the allowed behaviour
        > space B'
        > (B' <= B).
        > In other words: Sooner or later everyone wants everything as an option.
        > -- Vince Negri
        >
        > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
        > \\\
        > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
        > http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
        > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
        > ///
        > \\\ Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims --
        > http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///
      • Chris Devers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
          On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Lev Lvovsky wrote:

          > To be honest, that actually wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me (running
          > X11), seeing as I could run it only when I intend to use it with
          > Xcode. Out of curiosity, it seems like the Xwindows communication
          > mechanism is pretty ingrained in both Emacs and Vim, is swapping that
          > out even realistic?
          >
          > In the case that I want to compile with the clientserver option, how
          > would I go about doing that? I've told the configure script where all
          > of my X11 headers are, and yet it still bombs out as shown below...

          If it's an approach you can live with, the Fink provided version of Vim
          has built-in X11 support that works pretty well...

          --
          Chris Devers
        • Lev Lvovsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
            thanks Chris, I'll dust off fink and DL it.

            still curious why it's not compiling though...

            -lev