Re: access to egroups / yahoogroups

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:39:47PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      :
      : Patric Curtain wrote:
      :
      : > I've been receiving this list for months, now. Went to search through
      : > the archives, used Google to find that, indeed, there ARE archived
      : > messages discussing "building vim" on "OS X"... But i have to be a
      : > member of the yahoo groups for mac-vim before I can see the messages.
      :
      : I'm quite sure this is a public list and anyone can see the messages.
      : The settings say "public archives".
      :
      : If someone can see a setting that's wrong, I can change it.

      When I did a search for "vim-mac", I got these results:

      When I clicked on the "vim-mac" group:

      I got the same error message:

      Sorry, this group is available to members ONLY.
      You are not allowed to access this group.

      Yahoo also says that the archive is "Public", but clicking on it gets
      the same error message as above.

      What's really odd is that I've been subscribed to this and other Vim
      mailing lists before eGroups was acquired by Yahoo. But none of those
      groups show up as part of "My Groups". Very weird.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001

        * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [010801 21:38]:
        > I'm quite sure this is a public list and anyone can
        > see the messages. The settings say "public archives".
        > If someone can see a setting that's wrong, I can change it.

        Well, Bram, the archive of this group is indeed blocked -
        unless you sign in as a member of this group - which also
        requires that your login is subcrived to this group.

        I am subscribed to this list under a non-yahoo address
        so for them I am not a member of this group.
        Therefore I cannot use the archive. :-(

        Then again, "public" should allow anyone to access the archive.
        Maybe there was a problem in the trasition from egroups to yahoogroups?
        Bram - can you contact the folks at yahoogroups about this?

        Sven

        --
        Sven Guckes@... MacVim - Vim for Macintoshs: http://www.vim.org/macs.html
        VIM-MAC Mail List - Questions on Usage: vim-mac-@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
          On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:04:27AM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
          : * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [010801 21:38]:
          : >
          : > I'm quite sure this is a public list and anyone can
          : > see the messages. The settings say "public archives".
          : > If someone can see a setting that's wrong, I can change it.
          :
          : Well, Bram, the archive of this group is indeed blocked -
          : unless you sign in as a member of this group - which also
          : requires that your login is subcrived to this group.
          :
          : I am subscribed to this list under a non-yahoo address
          : so for them I am not a member of this group.
          : Therefore I cannot use the archive. :-(

          I've subscribed to several mailing lists, when it was eGroups and now as
          Yahoo Groups, with a non-Yahoo email address. The Vim-Mac list is the
          only one I know that has this problem. Very weird stuff.

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2001
            Sven Guckes wrote:

            > Well, Bram, the archive of this group is indeed blocked -
            > unless you sign in as a member of this group - which also
            > requires that your login is subcrived to this group.
            >
            > I am subscribed to this list under a non-yahoo address
            > so for them I am not a member of this group.
            > Therefore I cannot use the archive. :-(
            >
            > Then again, "public" should allow anyone to access the archive.
            > Maybe there was a problem in the trasition from egroups to yahoogroups?
            > Bram - can you contact the folks at yahoogroups about this?

            I have already contacted someone. It's strange, vim-multibyte is accessible
            and vim-mac isn't, but the settings are almost identical. Hopefully it can be
            fixed soon.

            164. You got out to buy software, instead of going out for a beer.