Opening full screen vim window?

  • bongoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2004
      Hi there

      I'm trying to set my vimrc file so that when I launch Vim, it opens
      full screen on my 15" PowerBook.

      I'm not sure if this a vimrc setting. I can set columns=210 but it is
      not really a full screen window.

      I'm wondering if I need to use applescript to achieve this or whether
      it is purely a Vim issue, ie one that can be addressed via Vim
      settings in my vimrc file.

      Any clues appreciated...

      bongoman
    • Matthew J. Stott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2004
        On Carbon ViM GUI, I experimented a bit:

        15" Al PowerBook 1280 x 854 resolution

        ViM commands you can place in a .vimrc or .gvimrc (I have both, one for
        GUI and one for console)

        winp 0 0 <-- Set's window position to X by Y (hides titlebar of
        Carbon Vim)
        set lines=56 columns=180 <-- Leaves a right hand scrollbar

        There will be a slight section of wallpaper at the bottom of the screen
        but if I set lines=57 it clips
        part of the last line.

        I believe your font choice in the GUI will also impact the line height
        and column width.
        I use set gfn=monaco:h12

        Also if you just type winp without parameters it will print the current
        coordinates.

        *** Another way *** - This is a shocker to those Mac users who didn't
        know they could do this:

        If you login to OS X using '>console' without the quotes and without a
        password you will find that the OS X window manager will exit and you
        will be a raw Unix login prompt. Login using your OS X shortname user
        id and password.

        Then try running ViM! That will definitely run true fullscreen! This
        would be the Panther included version of ViM (no GUI), if you need a
        newer version (or custom compiled one) then rename the /usr/bin/vim and
        create a symbolic link to the Carbon ViM. Something like 'ln -s
        /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim vim'.

        You will need to disable auto-logon and at the login screen, you can
        either set OS X to prompt for both username and password or you can
        even do it even if you see the list of users to click. Just hold down
        OPTION+Down Arrow then OPTION+ENTER (keep holding the OPTION key).
        Wala, you will now be prompted to type the username and can enter
        '>console' if you wish.