aspell & gui Vim?

  • John Magolske
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
      I'm enjoying gui Vim 6.3 on OS X 10.3.5, and would like to use aspell
      if possible.
      This recent posting indicates why aspell doesn't work with carbon Vim:
      http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim-mac&m=109248324018774&w=2

      So maybe I already have the answer...thought I'd send this out on the
      chance there might be a work-around.

      aspell is installed via Fink. I've been able to spellcheck in
      terminal Vim, but the gui Vim hangs up. Invoking aspell gets the
      message below. Looks like it's partially working, but I'm unable to
      choose an option at the prompt. The only response is "Sorry that is
      an invalid choice!?", and I end up having to ^Z terminate the Command:

      :!aspell check /Users/johnm/_temp/text1
      I plan to document my
      *travials* to help other newbies like me,
      1) travails
      6) trails

      2) travail's 7) trials

      3)
      travels 8) Travis's

      4) travail
      9) trivial

      5) Travis
      i) Ignore I)
      Ignore all

      r) Replace R) Replace
      all

      a) Add l) Add Lower

      b) Abort
      x) Exit

      ? 1
      Sorry that is an invalid choice!? 2
      Sorry that is an
      invalid choice!?

      TIA

      John Magolske
      http://b79.net
    • Matthew J. Stott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
        This may not be exactly what you want, but it works very well for my
        needs:

        I use it as a spell checker with LaTeX documents so it doesn't flag the
        tags.

        There is also CocoaAspell
        http://www.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/home.html
        but it doesn't work with Carbon ViM.