Re: Vim 6.0 for 68Ks?

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
      Le Dimanche 8 juillet 2001, à 12:17, Matt a écrit :

      > On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:
      >
      >> Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
      >> that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
      >> gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
      >> visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
      >> to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)
      >
      > I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version
      > compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so,
      > what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to
      > compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs
      > would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if
      > it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions,
      > and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with
      > MPW? ;

      Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
      I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)
      and Project Builder (on MacOS X).

      The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date
      (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)

      MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
      have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality
      are missing when compiled with MPW.

      >> As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
      >> have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)
      >
      > It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board.
      > That'll be fun then...

      Strange, I was thinking that a SE (even though older) was slightly
      better than a Classic

      >>> Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
      >>> syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
      >>> this point.
      >>
      >> Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
      >> most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.
      >
      > What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

      Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
      There's something on the todo.txt about this.

      Dany
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001

        > Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
        > I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)

        Would Code Warrior Pro 4 work OK? Also, you have any idea on where to get a "cheap" (hahaha) version of it? Also, would the Learning Edition work? The lack of optimization will suck, but I could probably live with that... I wouldn't be able to distribute any of the binaries that I made due to the license, and it claims that I wouldn't be able to generate cross-platform code. I don't know if this means cross-platform as in making 68K/FAT binaries and/or Windows binaries... At least I'd be able to uppgrade to the full version a little cheaper when I could better afford it...

        (I sure hope my 7100 is up to the challenge of compiling VIM... It has a hard enough time running the MacOS sometimes... Then again OS9 wasn't really meant for the 601 chip... ;)

        > and Project Builder (on MacOS X).
        >
        > The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date

        Where could I get the up-to-date project? And when will your page be updated? I want something newer than a 5.6 binary! ;)

        > (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)
        >
        > MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
        > have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality

        I guess I'll try one of these days soon... Kinda curious what will be missing...

        If it is, it's only slightly... ;) After all I can only read 800K floppies... Check out http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/se.html and http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/classic.html

        > Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
        > There's something on the todo.txt about this.
        Welp, I guess after I get it compiled, I'm gonna see what I can do. Admittedly, it probably won't be much... But I'll try!

        --Matt