Re: Vim 6.0 for 68Ks?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
      On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:

      > Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
      > that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
      > gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
      > visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
      > to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)

      I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so, what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions, and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with MPW? ;)

      > As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
      > have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)

      It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board. That'll be fun then...

      > > Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
      > > syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
      > > this point.
      >
      > Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
      > most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.

      What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

      --Matt
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
        Le Dimanche 8 juillet 2001, à 12:17, Matt a écrit :

        > On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:
        >
        >> Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
        >> that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
        >> gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
        >> visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
        >> to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)
        >
        > I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version
        > compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so,
        > what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to
        > compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs
        > would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if
        > it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions,
        > and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with
        > MPW? ;

        Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
        I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)
        and Project Builder (on MacOS X).

        The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date
        (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)

        MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
        have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality
        are missing when compiled with MPW.

        >> As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
        >> have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)
        >
        > It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board.
        > That'll be fun then...

        Strange, I was thinking that a SE (even though older) was slightly
        better than a Classic

        >>> Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
        >>> syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
        >>> this point.
        >>
        >> Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
        >> most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.
        >
        > What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

        Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
        There's something on the todo.txt about this.

        Dany
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001

          > Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
          > I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)

          Would Code Warrior Pro 4 work OK? Also, you have any idea on where to get a "cheap" (hahaha) version of it? Also, would the Learning Edition work? The lack of optimization will suck, but I could probably live with that... I wouldn't be able to distribute any of the binaries that I made due to the license, and it claims that I wouldn't be able to generate cross-platform code. I don't know if this means cross-platform as in making 68K/FAT binaries and/or Windows binaries... At least I'd be able to uppgrade to the full version a little cheaper when I could better afford it...

          (I sure hope my 7100 is up to the challenge of compiling VIM... It has a hard enough time running the MacOS sometimes... Then again OS9 wasn't really meant for the 601 chip... ;)

          > and Project Builder (on MacOS X).
          >
          > The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date

          Where could I get the up-to-date project? And when will your page be updated? I want something newer than a 5.6 binary! ;)

          > (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)
          >
          > MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
          > have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality

          I guess I'll try one of these days soon... Kinda curious what will be missing...

          If it is, it's only slightly... ;) After all I can only read 800K floppies... Check out http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/se.html and http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/classic.html

          > Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
          > There's something on the todo.txt about this.
          Welp, I guess after I get it compiled, I'm gonna see what I can do. Admittedly, it probably won't be much... But I'll try!

          --Matt