Re: Vim 6.0 for 68Ks?

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
      Le Samedi 7 juillet 2001, à 03:19, Matt a écrit :

      > Will Vim6 be compilable by those of us still running system 7 on 68k
      > machines? Yes, I know how obsolete all of the machines are, but Vim is
      > a great workhorse application and my Quadra makes an excellent
      > workhorse. I don't expect to play Unreal Tournament on it, but it runs
      > Telnet, WannaBe, Netscape, Cyberdog, Vim, and an X server just fine.
      > So, of course, I don't want to put it out of commission for text
      > editing just because all the rest of my machines will be running Vim 6.
      > (except my mac se, but that's another issue... ;)

      Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
      that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
      gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
      visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
      to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)

      As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
      have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)

      > Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
      > syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
      > this point.

      Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
      most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.

      Dany
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
        On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:

        > Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
        > that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
        > gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
        > visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
        > to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)

        I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so, what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions, and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with MPW? ;)

        > As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
        > have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)

        It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board. That'll be fun then...

        > > Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
        > > syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
        > > this point.
        >
        > Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
        > most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.

        What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

        --Matt
      • Dany St-Amant
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
          Le Dimanche 8 juillet 2001, à 12:17, Matt a écrit :

          > On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:
          >
          >> Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
          >> that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
          >> gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
          >> visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
          >> to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)
          >
          > I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version
          > compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so,
          > what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to
          > compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs
          > would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if
          > it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions,
          > and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with
          > MPW? ;

          Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
          I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)
          and Project Builder (on MacOS X).

          The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date
          (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)

          MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
          have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality
          are missing when compiled with MPW.

          >> As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
          >> have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)
          >
          > It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board.
          > That'll be fun then...

          Strange, I was thinking that a SE (even though older) was slightly
          better than a Classic

          >>> Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
          >>> syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
          >>> this point.
          >>
          >> Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
          >> most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.
          >
          > What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

          Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
          There's something on the todo.txt about this.

          Dany
        • Matt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001

            > Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
            > I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)

            Would Code Warrior Pro 4 work OK? Also, you have any idea on where to get a "cheap" (hahaha) version of it? Also, would the Learning Edition work? The lack of optimization will suck, but I could probably live with that... I wouldn't be able to distribute any of the binaries that I made due to the license, and it claims that I wouldn't be able to generate cross-platform code. I don't know if this means cross-platform as in making 68K/FAT binaries and/or Windows binaries... At least I'd be able to uppgrade to the full version a little cheaper when I could better afford it...

            (I sure hope my 7100 is up to the challenge of compiling VIM... It has a hard enough time running the MacOS sometimes... Then again OS9 wasn't really meant for the 601 chip... ;)

            > and Project Builder (on MacOS X).
            >
            > The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date

            Where could I get the up-to-date project? And when will your page be updated? I want something newer than a 5.6 binary! ;)

            > (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)
            >
            > MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
            > have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality

            I guess I'll try one of these days soon... Kinda curious what will be missing...

            If it is, it's only slightly... ;) After all I can only read 800K floppies... Check out http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/se.html and http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/classic.html

            > Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
            > There's something on the todo.txt about this.
            Welp, I guess after I get it compiled, I'm gonna see what I can do. Admittedly, it probably won't be much... But I'll try!

            --Matt