Vim 6.0 for 68Ks?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
      Will Vim6 be compilable by those of us still running system 7 on 68k machines? Yes, I know how obsolete all of the machines are, but Vim is a great workhorse application and my Quadra makes an excellent workhorse. I don't expect to play Unreal Tournament on it, but it runs Telnet, WannaBe, Netscape, Cyberdog, Vim, and an X server just fine. So, of course, I don't want to put it out of commission for text editing just because all the rest of my machines will be running Vim 6. (except my mac se, but that's another issue... ;)

      Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on this point.

      --Matt
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
        Le Samedi 7 juillet 2001, à 03:19, Matt a écrit :

        > Will Vim6 be compilable by those of us still running system 7 on 68k
        > machines? Yes, I know how obsolete all of the machines are, but Vim is
        > a great workhorse application and my Quadra makes an excellent
        > workhorse. I don't expect to play Unreal Tournament on it, but it runs
        > Telnet, WannaBe, Netscape, Cyberdog, Vim, and an X server just fine.
        > So, of course, I don't want to put it out of commission for text
        > editing just because all the rest of my machines will be running Vim 6.
        > (except my mac se, but that's another issue... ;)

        Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
        that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
        gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
        visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
        to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)

        As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
        have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)

        > Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
        > syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
        > this point.

        Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
        most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.

        Dany
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
          On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:

          > Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
          > that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
          > gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
          > visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
          > to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)

          I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so, what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions, and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with MPW? ;)

          > As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
          > have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)

          It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board. That'll be fun then...

          > > Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
          > > syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
          > > this point.
          >
          > Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
          > most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.

          What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

          --Matt
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001
            Le Dimanche 8 juillet 2001, à 12:17, Matt a écrit :

            > On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Dany St-Amant wrote:
            >
            >> Don't worry Matt, all the change I'm making to Vim, are done in a way
            >> that it can still be compiled to run under System 7. Unfortunately, I
            >> gave my Quadra to my mom, so I can only test Vim on 68k when I'm
            >> visiting my mom (and if when I try to use it, she says: "Are you coming
            >> to visit me or your old Mac?" ;)
            >
            > I'm willing to test the 68K version for you... ;) Will the 68K version
            > compile "out of the box" with the current (or soon) sources? If so,
            > what version of CodeWarrior will I have to track down in order to
            > compile it? (Preferably on my Quadra, but using one of the newer Macs
            > would be fine...) I think I've scored a copy of CWPro4, but not sure if
            > it'll come through yet. ;) Kinda hard to track down the older versions,
            > and even THEY aren't cheap... :/ What would it take to compile with
            > MPW? ;

            Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
            I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)
            and Project Builder (on MacOS X).

            The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date
            (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)

            MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
            have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality
            are missing when compiled with MPW.

            >> As for your SE, if it can run System 7, it may one day run Vim. (Hey, I
            >> have to make my obsolete Classic useful for something.)
            >
            > It won't have System 7 till after I've dropped in a SE/30 logic board.
            > That'll be fun then...

            Strange, I was thinking that a SE (even though older) was slightly
            better than a Classic

            >>> Also, not to be too greedy but, will Vim6for68K (if it exists) support
            >>> syntax? And why doesn't Vim 5? I've never been too terribly clear on
            >>> this point.
            >>
            >> Vim 5, can be compile with syntax, but it's awfully slooooooow. So the
            >> most up to date version of it has been compiled without that support.
            >
            > What can be done to speed it up? Having a FPU is no help?

            Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
            There's something on the todo.txt about this.

            Dany
          • Matt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2001

              > Originally the port started on CodeWarrior 9.
              > I currently use CodeWarrior Pro Release 5 (on MacOS 9)

              Would Code Warrior Pro 4 work OK? Also, you have any idea on where to get a "cheap" (hahaha) version of it? Also, would the Learning Edition work? The lack of optimization will suck, but I could probably live with that... I wouldn't be able to distribute any of the binaries that I made due to the license, and it claims that I wouldn't be able to generate cross-platform code. I don't know if this means cross-platform as in making 68K/FAT binaries and/or Windows binaries... At least I'd be able to uppgrade to the full version a little cheaper when I could better afford it...

              (I sure hope my 7100 is up to the challenge of compiling VIM... It has a hard enough time running the MacOS sometimes... Then again OS9 wasn't really meant for the 601 chip... ;)

              > and Project Builder (on MacOS X).
              >
              > The included CodeWarrior project is currently out-of-date

              Where could I get the up-to-date project? And when will your page be updated? I want something newer than a 5.6 binary! ;)

              > (at least for Vim 6 alpha, I didn't check Vim 5 for a while)
              >
              > MPW is supposely supported, I never try it so I don't know, but there's
              > have been change to allow compilation. Unfortunately some functionality

              I guess I'll try one of these days soon... Kinda curious what will be missing...

              If it is, it's only slightly... ;) After all I can only read 800K floppies... Check out http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/se.html and http://www.classicmacaddict.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?go=profiles/subprofiles/classic.html

              > Improvement of the syntax highlighting code, its slow on all platform.
              > There's something on the todo.txt about this.
              Welp, I guess after I get it compiled, I'm gonna see what I can do. Admittedly, it probably won't be much... But I'll try!

              --Matt