Building vim-6.0am under OS X

  • Ken Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hello,

      I'm new to trying to build Vim on Mac OS X. I understand that this should be
      possible, but Project Builder will not open the file os_mac.pbxproj file.

      I was able to build a console Vim with no problems, but I would really like
      to have a gvim to use.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Ken

      --
      <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

      This is the day that the Lord has made;
      Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
        Ken Scott wrote:

        > I'm new to trying to build Vim on Mac OS X. I understand that this should be
        > possible, but Project Builder will not open the file os_mac.pbxproj file.
        >
        > I was able to build a console Vim with no problems, but I would really like
        > to have a gvim to use.

        Did you try opening the file and saving it with mac fileformat? It's
        currently in unix fileformat.

        55. You ask your doctor to implant a gig in your brain.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
          Ken Scott wrote:

          > I'm new to trying to build Vim on Mac OS X. I understand that this should be
          > possible, but Project Builder will not open the file os_mac.pbxproj file.
          >
          > I was able to build a console Vim with no problems, but I would really like
          > to have a gvim to use.

          Did you try opening the file and saving it with mac fileformat? It's
          currently in unix fileformat.

          55. You ask your doctor to implant a gig in your brain.

        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
            on 1/07/01 22:01, Ken Scott at kscott-list@... wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm new to trying to build Vim on Mac OS X. I understand that this should be
            > possible, but Project Builder will not open the file os_mac.pbxproj file.
            >
            > I was able to build a console Vim with no problems, but I would really like
            > to have a gvim to use.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ken

            Unfortunately, the project file doesn't work as is.
            But you can make it work by doing the following step.

            Make sure os_mac.pbxproj is in UNIX format.
            Create a new folder in src/
            Move the os_mac.pbxproj into the new folder
            Rename it project.pbxproj
            Rename the new folder os_mac.pbproj

            as I was trying to get the file to work I also

            chmod a+w os_mac.pbproj
            chmod og-rx os_mac.pbproj
            chmod u+x os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj
            chmod a-rw os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj

            But I don't think those are needed.

            Sorry for the inconvenience

            Dany

            P.S.: I suggest to use Vim from the Boot Volume, as there's a problem
            finding the RUNTIME directrory otherwise.
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
              Dany St-Amant wrote:

              > Unfortunately, the project file doesn't work as is.
              > But you can make it work by doing the following step.
              >
              > Make sure os_mac.pbxproj is in UNIX format.
              > Create a new folder in src/
              > Move the os_mac.pbxproj into the new folder
              > Rename it project.pbxproj
              > Rename the new folder os_mac.pbproj

              OK, I'll do that.

              > P.S.: I suggest to use Vim from the Boot Volume, as there's a problem
              > finding the RUNTIME directrory otherwise.

              Perhaps this should be mentioned in INSTALLmac.txt?

              74. Your most erotic dreams are about cybersex

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
                  on 2/07/01 12:27, Dany St-Amant at dany.stamant@... wrote:

                  > on 1/07/01 22:01, Ken Scott at kscott-list@... wrote:
                  >

                  >> I'm new to trying to build Vim on Mac OS X. I understand that this should be
                  >> possible, but Project Builder will not open the file os_mac.pbxproj file.
                  >>
                  >> [...]
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, the project file doesn't work as is.
                  >
                  > [...]
                  >
                  > P.S.: I suggest to use Vim from the Boot Volume, as there's a problem
                  > finding the RUNTIME directrory otherwise.

                  I just uploaded a project which should work right away.

                  http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/patch/6.0/os_mac.pbproj.tar.gz

                  I also have a fix (which still need some soaking) to allow Vim to reside
                  on any Volume. (Bram, if you're listening, I will ship you a cleaner
                  patch later this week.)

                  http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/patch/6.0/vim60am.nonroot.diff

                  Dany
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Dany St-Amant wrote:

                    > I just uploaded a project which should work right away.
                    >
                    > http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/patch/6.0/os_mac.pbproj.tar.gz
                    >
                    > I also have a fix (which still need some soaking) to allow Vim to reside
                    > on any Volume. (Bram, if you're listening, I will ship you a cleaner
                    > patch later this week.)

                    I'm listening. You might have noticed that we are heading for a beta release
                    now. Thus please try to finish it up and send me a patch a this week.

                    79. All of your most erotic dreams have a scrollbar at the right side.

                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2001