Re: Mysterious grey bar

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 11, 2004
      On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 05:32:36AM +0100, Afternoon wrote:

      > Returning to the mysterious grey problem. This started happening to me
      > a couple of weeks ago. I did nothing to my version of Vim or my config
      > files, but suddenly I'm in diff mode all the time!
      >
      > Today built 6.3 to see if this would fix the problem. It does not.
      > Neither does -u NONE -U NONE. Interestingly, only the GUI goes into
      > diff mode, the console incarnation is fine (yes they're the same
      > binary).
      >
      > I've gone down the autocmd route for now.
      >
      > Let me know if you would like me to try anything, including recompiling
      > with different options.
      >
      > Ben

      The only thing I can think of is for someone who sees this problem
      to run vim in a debugger and see when the options get changed.
      Reminder: some users see the 'diff' option being set, others see 'wrap'
      unset, IIRC. There may be another option or two misbehaving ...

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Afternoon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2004
        > The only thing I can think of is for someone who sees this problem
        > to run vim in a debugger and see when the options get changed.
        > Reminder: some users see the 'diff' option being set, others see
        > 'wrap'
        > unset, IIRC. There may be another option or two misbehaving ...
        >
        > HTH --Benji Fisher

        I'm happy to try this, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the
        debugger.

        Ben

        (q) Ben Godfrey?
        (a) Web Developer and Designer
        See http://aftnn.org/ for details
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 11, 2004
          On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:54:40AM +0100, Afternoon wrote:
          > > The only thing I can think of is for someone who sees this problem
          > >to run vim in a debugger and see when the options get changed.
          > >Reminder: some users see the 'diff' option being set, others see
          > >'wrap'
          > >unset, IIRC. There may be another option or two misbehaving ...
          > >
          > >HTH --Benji Fisher
          >
          > I'm happy to try this, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the
          > debugger.

          Are you afflicted by this problem? If not, I doubt there is any
          point in running a debugger on your system. If so, try to figure out
          when and how the option is set incorrectly.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Afternoon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 12, 2004
            On 12 Jun 2004, at 5:55, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > Are you afflicted by this problem?

            I am, it was me who restarted this topic yesterday. However, I did have
            APE enhancer installed, and disabling that removed the problem!
            Installing it had coincided with the problem appearing also. Random.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 13, 2004
              On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 04:28:08PM +0100, Afternoon wrote:

              > On 12 Jun 2004, at 5:55, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >
              > > Are you afflicted by this problem?
              >
              > I am, it was me who restarted this topic yesterday. However, I did have
              > APE enhancer installed, and disabling that removed the problem!
              > Installing it had coincided with the problem appearing also. Random.

              Sorry, I was not paying attention to the "From" headers.

              What is APE enhancer, and does it make sense that it could interact
              this way? If others have the same problem for the same reason, I will
              add a warning to the FAQ.

              --Benji
            • Afternoon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 13, 2004
                On 13 Jun 2004, at 19:39, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > What is APE enhancer, and does it make sense that it could
                > interact
                > this way? If others have the same problem for the same reason, I will
                > add a warning to the FAQ.

                It's a framework for installing system enhancements, themers,
                application behaviour modifiers and so on. It's a daemon that watches
                for applications being loaded and modifies their behaviour in memory
                apparently. So yes, it makes a lot of sense that it could cause this
                problem.

                http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape