Re: _vim.bracketing?

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
      am 2001-04-19 9:03 Uhr schrieb david craig unter dac@...:

      > I just downloaded VIM 5.7.1 [or whatever it is exactly] and the runtime
      > archive from Alex's iDisk

      >From the Archive name vim57bin26.sea I would guess it is Vim 5.7.26, but who
      knows what is really in there:-)

      > When VIM launches, it complains that it can't find "_vim.bracketing".

      Oops, sorry.
      I included my vimrc, maybe I should create a special vimrc for the
      distribution.

      > This, of course, is because selfsame file is sourced in vimrc, but is
      > nowhere to be found in the distribution. (What is it? Should I care?)

      It is a collection of macros to format brackets.
      Don't care, just remove the line.

      > Forgive me for nitpicking, but it strikes me that a plain vanilla
      > distribution of VIM ought to launch for the first time without error :-)
      > [Or is this some sort of geeks-only hazing process?]

      Vim is for geeeks only, didn't you now?

      A new version with Navigation Service Support (and a fixed vimrc) is on the
      way, including a better download page. I hope I find some time this weekend.

      > Question, while I'm being annoying: do Axel and Dan ever plan on
      > deciding what is the "official" MacVIM? Or is there some sort of
      > agreement on this?

      You will have noticed that there is a subfolder "Axel" on the iDisk. Since
      we have about 20 MB there, it should be possible to have a folder "Dany"
      next to it. (Dany has a more recent compiler with newer libraries, thus he
      may be able to compile a CodeWarrior Version for Carbon.)

      I know of 4 different official versions, compiled with different compilers
      and different features. The goal should be to make Vim compile with Apple's
      free MPW compiler, then everyone can make a version according to his needs.
      (Well, Vim 6.0ab + patches already compiles, but it is lacking many
      features.)

      Axel
    • david craig
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
        Axel-

        > I included my vimrc, maybe I should create a special vimrc for the
        > distribution.

        One that doesn't source files not included, certainly!

        > It is a collection of macros to format brackets.
        > Don't care, just remove the line.

        Done. Thanks for the info!

        > You will have noticed that there is a subfolder "Axel" on the iDisk. Since
        > we have about 20 MB there, it should be possible to have a folder "Dany"
        > next to it.
        >
        > I know of 4 different official versions

        That would be great! It would be even greater if at the top level there
        might be "read me" that all of you wonderful authors had access to in
        which you could explain the differences between the different builds, so
        people could figure out which of the bleeding-edge versions they need
        most.

        How about it? Could all of the VIM authors -- or a few of you, at least
        -- agree to maintain copies of your current build of VIM on the VIM
        iDisk? (If space ran out, it's easy to create additional accounts.)

        David Craig

        <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>