Status of Vim.app and UTF-8 display?

  • David Sewell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2004
      Vim-mac people,

      Forgive me for not paying enough attention to recent developments, but
      I'm testing a shift from using vim under Terminal.app to the GUI
      Vim.app. My main need is to be able to edit UTF-8 files; Terminal.app
      works pretty well except that for files with very long lines characters
      sometimes "disappear" when wrap=on (i.e., they are present in the buffer
      and typing "ga" shows the correct character is under the cursor, but no
      character appears on screen).

      So I want to try gvim using encode=utf-8. The version of gvim I have
      installed is 6.2.293. It starts up with termencoding=macroman, so with
      encode=utf-8 it displays many characters correctly, but not nearly as
      many as vim under Terminal.app. Setting termencoding=utf-8 produces
      garbage.

      Is there a more recent build of Vim.app that supports the full OS X set
      of Unicode characters, or is this still a future goal?

      David

      (P.S. Bram and Benji, you guys are my heroes... Vim is one of the two or
      three most essential tools to getting my work done every day.)

      Electronic Imprint, The University of Virginia Press
      PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
      Email: dsewell@... Tel: +1 434 924 9973
      Web: http://www.ei.virginia.edu/
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2004
        On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:24:36PM -0400, David Sewell wrote:
        > Vim-mac people,
        >
        > Forgive me for not paying enough attention to recent developments, but
        > I'm testing a shift from using vim under Terminal.app to the GUI
        > Vim.app. My main need is to be able to edit UTF-8 files; Terminal.app
        > works pretty well except that for files with very long lines characters
        > sometimes "disappear" when wrap=on (i.e., they are present in the buffer
        > and typing "ga" shows the correct character is under the cursor, but no
        > character appears on screen).
        >
        > So I want to try gvim using encode=utf-8. The version of gvim I have
        > installed is 6.2.293. It starts up with termencoding=macroman, so with
        > encode=utf-8 it displays many characters correctly, but not nearly as
        > many as vim under Terminal.app. Setting termencoding=utf-8 produces
        > garbage.
        >
        > Is there a more recent build of Vim.app that supports the full OS X set
        > of Unicode characters, or is this still a future goal?

        There is a more recent version (6.3b) at
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Downloading
        Try that; if you are lucky, that will solve your problem. If not, ask
        again. (I keep hoping that someone will write up something on
        encoding--terminal vs. GUI, macroman vs. utf-8--for the FAQ list.)

        > (P.S. Bram and Benji, you guys are my heroes... Vim is one of the two or
        > three most essential tools to getting my work done every day.)

        I am glad to do my part, but perhaps I should point out that that
        is pretty much limited to maintaining the OS X web pages and compiling.

        HTH --Benji Fisher