spam filter ?

  • Lloyd Budd
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2004
      Hi ,

      What do ppl on this list use for spam filtering ?

      Peace ,
      Lloyd
      Message 2 of 7 , May 24, 2004
        On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 03:34:34PM -0400, Lloyd Budd wrote:
        > Hi ,
        >
        > What do ppl on this list use for spam filtering ?

        I use Spam Assassin: http://eu.spamassassin.org/index.html . I
        read my mail on my Linux computer, so I have not tried setting it up on
        OS X, but a quick Google search finds this article:
        http://www.aplawrence.com/MacOSX/macosxspamassassin.html
        It is rare that any spam gets through this.

        Don't the junk-mail features built in to Mail.app work resonably
        well? You have been training it, right?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Volker Büscher
        Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2004
          > I use Spam Assassin: http://eu.spamassassin.org/index.html . I
          > read my mail on my Linux computer, so I have not tried setting it up on
          > OS X, but a quick Google search finds this article:
          > http://www.aplawrence.com/MacOSX/macosxspamassassin.html
          > It is rare that any spam gets through this.

          IMHO it is NOT a task of a maillist subscriber but the task of the maillist
          admin to stop the SPAM... Sadly this is one of the FEW maillists which is
          obviously NOT able to do it...

          So where is the spamassassin installation on the comupter wich hosts this
          maillist???? Would it not be better to install spamassassin on one computer
          than on 1000 computers (all maillist subscribers)???

          > Don't the junk-mail features built in to Mail.app work resonably
          > well? You have been training it, right?
          >
          > HTH --Benji Fisher

          Smartassing users is NOT the right reaction..

          Almost ready to unsubscribe because of the SPAM coming in from this mailling
          list... (It's more than half of all the SPAM I get)

          Have fun

          Volker
          --
          Confined in the helpless safety of desires and dreams
          we fight our insignificance... Anne Clark
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2004
            * Benji Fisher <benji@...>, 2004-05-24 13:04 +0200:
            > On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 03:34:34PM -0400, Lloyd Budd wrote:
            > > Hi ,
            > >
            > > What do ppl on this list use for spam filtering ?
            >
            > I use Spam Assassin: http://eu.spamassassin.org/index.html . I
            > read my mail on my Linux computer, so I have not tried setting it up on
            > OS X, but a quick Google search finds this article:
            > http://www.aplawrence.com/MacOSX/macosxspamassassin.html

            I like bmf much better (<http://sourceforge.net>), puts much less
            load on a workstation system, and is extremely easy to install.

            -Andre
          • Lloyd Budd
            Message 5 of 7 , May 24, 2004
              On 24-May-04, at 6:49, Benji Fisher wrote:

              > Don't the junk-mail features built in to Mail.app work resonably
              > well? You have been training it, right?

              I have it disabled , b/c too many false positives , and really no
              control .

              Currently , I am using Junk Matcher , but this list is annoying because
              most of the junk is un-SPAM .

              I will look @ bmf & spamassassin .

              Thnx ,
              Lloyd
              Message 6 of 7 , May 24, 2004
                On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:14:27PM +0200, Volker Büscher wrote:

                > > I use Spam Assassin: http://eu.spamassassin.org/index.html . I
                > > read my mail on my Linux computer, so I have not tried setting it up on
                > > OS X, but a quick Google search finds this article:
                > > http://www.aplawrence.com/MacOSX/macosxspamassassin.html
                > > It is rare that any spam gets through this.
                > >

                > IMHO it is NOT a task of a maillist subscriber but the task of the maillist
                > admin to stop the SPAM... Sadly this is one of the FEW maillists which is
                > obviously NOT able to do it...
                >
                > So where is the spamassassin installation on the comupter wich hosts this
                > maillist???? Would it not be better to install spamassassin on one computer
                > than on 1000 computers (all maillist subscribers)???

                I agree. Unfortunately, no one I know has access to the mail-list
                server. I have a hunch that the vim lists are hosted by a *very old*
                machine, and that the added load of a spam filter would be a significant
                problem. The problem with accepting donations (donations of service, in
                this case) is that you have very little leverage when you want something
                upgraded.

                OTOH, I need a spam filter on my local machine whether or not I get
                any spam from my mailing lists. I do not know how many subscribers are
                in the same situation, but at least some of us would have to leave our
                filters in place even if we could convince the list admin to do
                something about it.

                > > Don't the junk-mail features built in to Mail.app work resonably
                > > well? You have been training it, right?
                > >
                > > HTH --Benji Fisher
                > >

                > Smartassing users is NOT the right reaction..

                Sorry, that was not my intention.

                --Benji Fisher
              • Stephen Riehm
                Message 7 of 7 , May 24, 2004
                  As an OS-X user actually using Mail.app, maybe I can contribute a
                  little confusion to this topic :-)

                  >> IMHO it is NOT a task of a maillist subscriber but the task of the
                  >> maillist
                  >> admin to stop the SPAM

                  yes, but that's only part of the problem. Your own spam filter is
                  always a good idea!
                  (Of course the real solution would be a pair of pliers and that CD with
                  all the spammers REAL addresses... *evil grin*)

                  >>> Don't the junk-mail features built in to Mail.app work resonably
                  >>> well? You have been training it, right?

                  I think so. I've got Mail.app's filter configured to not filter mail
                  from people in my addressbook (which might be why I see so much junk
                  from this list) but:
                  a: it works fairly well... about 2 get through per day, plus 5-10 on
                  the vim list
                  b: I haven't had a false positive yet (at least, never when I bothered
                  to look)
                  c: the spam I get from this list always appears empty for me - no
                  attatchments and just a couple of words ('your document' etc)
                  d: the amount of spam that gets through to my work address (exchange
                  2003 server, MacOS-9 outlook) leaves my private account for dead -
                  there's normally about 30 - 50 spams waiting for me to delete each
                  morning :-( So much for professional services that people pay good
                  money for...

                  Is anyone else using Mail.app's spam filtering? Goood/bad experiences?

                  Steve