Re: _vim.bracketing?

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2001
      On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 02:03:12AM -0500, david craig wrote:
      :
      : Forgive me for nitpicking, but it strikes me that a plain vanilla
      : distribution of VIM ought to launch for the first time without error :-)
      : [Or is this some sort of geeks-only hazing process?]

      The plain vanilla distribution of Vim does work quite well. It's the
      Mac port that's fallen behind. But don't blame the Mac folks; it's
      more due to the lack of developers working on MacVim compared to the
      other platforms, and that getting Vim to run on the Mac seems to take
      lots more work than on other other platforms. Then again, the console
      version of Vim 5.7 (not GVim) compiles fairly cleanly on Mac OS X.

      : Question, while I'm being annoying: do Axel and Dan ever plan on
      : deciding what is the "official" MacVIM? Or is there some sort of
      : agreement on this?

      MacVim is a work in progress. There's the binaries that you can
      download and use. I'm looking forward to the Carbon port for 6.0,
      whenever it comes out.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2001
        I don't mean to "blame" anyone. In fact, I greatly appreciate the work
        put in by all concerned. However, every time I go looking for MacVIM,
        it's still true that there's some ambiguity about where I should go to
        get it, and about the relationship between the available choices in
        terms of bugs (new and old), features, documentation, synchronicity with
        releases of VIM on other platforms, and so on.

        Mac OS X seems to me to hold much promise for MacVIM. The more
        organized is the current MacVIM community as the transition to a vastly
        more vi-friendly world proceeds, the brighter the future of MacVIM. Or
        so it seems from here.

        David Craig

        <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
          am 2001-04-19 9:03 Uhr schrieb david craig unter dac@...:

          > I just downloaded VIM 5.7.1 [or whatever it is exactly] and the runtime
          > archive from Alex's iDisk

          >From the Archive name vim57bin26.sea I would guess it is Vim 5.7.26, but who
          knows what is really in there:-)

          > When VIM launches, it complains that it can't find "_vim.bracketing".

          Oops, sorry.
          I included my vimrc, maybe I should create a special vimrc for the
          distribution.

          > This, of course, is because selfsame file is sourced in vimrc, but is
          > nowhere to be found in the distribution. (What is it? Should I care?)

          It is a collection of macros to format brackets.
          Don't care, just remove the line.

          > Forgive me for nitpicking, but it strikes me that a plain vanilla
          > distribution of VIM ought to launch for the first time without error :-)
          > [Or is this some sort of geeks-only hazing process?]

          Vim is for geeeks only, didn't you now?

          A new version with Navigation Service Support (and a fixed vimrc) is on the
          way, including a better download page. I hope I find some time this weekend.

          > Question, while I'm being annoying: do Axel and Dan ever plan on
          > deciding what is the "official" MacVIM? Or is there some sort of
          > agreement on this?

          You will have noticed that there is a subfolder "Axel" on the iDisk. Since
          we have about 20 MB there, it should be possible to have a folder "Dany"
          next to it. (Dany has a more recent compiler with newer libraries, thus he
          may be able to compile a CodeWarrior Version for Carbon.)

          I know of 4 different official versions, compiled with different compilers
          and different features. The goal should be to make Vim compile with Apple's
          free MPW compiler, then everyone can make a version according to his needs.
          (Well, Vim 6.0ab + patches already compiles, but it is lacking many
          features.)

          Axel
        • david craig
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
            Axel-

            > I included my vimrc, maybe I should create a special vimrc for the
            > distribution.

            One that doesn't source files not included, certainly!

            > It is a collection of macros to format brackets.
            > Don't care, just remove the line.

            Done. Thanks for the info!

            > You will have noticed that there is a subfolder "Axel" on the iDisk. Since
            > we have about 20 MB there, it should be possible to have a folder "Dany"
            > next to it.
            >
            > I know of 4 different official versions

            That would be great! It would be even greater if at the top level there
            might be "read me" that all of you wonderful authors had access to in
            which you could explain the differences between the different builds, so
            people could figure out which of the bleeding-edge versions they need
            most.

            How about it? Could all of the VIM authors -- or a few of you, at least
            -- agree to maintain copies of your current build of VIM on the VIM
            iDisk? (If space ran out, it's easy to create additional accounts.)

            David Craig

            <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>