gq in unix vi?

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2001
      I've stumped our local vi-types on this one: what is the basic unix vi
      equivalent of VIM's "gq<move>" for re-formatting text? (We're on
      Digital Unix 4.0D here, not that that should be especially relevant.) In
      particular, it seems excessively hard to simply re-justify a paragraph's
      text. Or am I just too accustomed to VIM?

      David Craig

      <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2001
        On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 02:07:55AM -0500, david craig wrote:
        :
        : I've stumped our local vi-types on this one: what is the basic unix vi
        : equivalent of VIM's "gq<move>" for re-formatting text? (We're on
        : Digital Unix 4.0D here, not that that should be especially relevant.) In
        : particular, it seems excessively hard to simply re-justify a paragraph's
        : text. Or am I just too accustomed to VIM?

        Short answer: you're too accustomed to Vim. :)

        Long answer: pipe the lines to an external filter, like fmt or par, that
        does the job. I used to use this mapping to format my emails:

        map gp !par -gqr 72^M

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...