[vim-mac] Re: emulating command line tools - NOT!

  • H. Eckert
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2000
      Quoting Sven Guckes (guckes@...):
      > * Patrick Curtain <patrick@...> [000309 20:47]:
      > > Second to that, I was thinking it would be SOoo cool,
      > > if we could *simulate* some command line kinds of tools.
      > > Things like when the user says ':!ls' that it would go, get the listing
      > > for the current directory and display it. That would be so helpful.
      > > Now, if it does that some way that I haven't seen, let me know. :)
      >
      > Yeah, let's emulate all the Unix stuff and
      > this other command line tool - "emacs". NOT!
      >
      > Face it - Macs are no Unix machines.
      > Hint: MkLinux, BeOS. Nuff said.

      What he really wants to do is take the source and hack on it
      until the text mode version builds with the MacOS specifics
      still intact to build a MPW tool version of vim. Well, I don't
      know whether MPW supports a real terminal emulation similar to
      xterm in its editor windows and it'd be a bit strange to put
      an editor as an application into an editor's window...

      But then since MPW went out of fashion but MPW tools continued
      to be useful (things like awk or perl) there is the "ToolServer"
      application that can be used as a shell to wrap around MPW tools
      w/o having the whole shell and editor around. It can be used
      from CodeWarrior for example to run MPW tools and scripts. It
      would be major cool to but the code into MacOS's port of vim to
      interface to the ToolServer application. This involves implementing
      Apple Events for vim.

      If done properly, any shell escape could be sent to the ToolServer.
      Don't expect the MPW scripting language to be compatible to /bin/sh
      though. It's similar but quite different, making use of many of
      the special characters in the Mac's character encoding. Things
      like double-tilde for filename globbing for example.

      Gruß,
      Ripley

      --
      H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
      ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.