Re: [vim-mac] MacVim 6.0t MPW first patch

  • Ammon Skidmore
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2001
      >Isn't there another directory to use on the Mac? Otherwise you won't get a
      >backup or swap file when editing a file in a read-only directory.

      There is the standard invisible Temporary Items directory on the Mac,
      which is on all writable volumes. You find it with a call to
      FindFolder() with a folderType of kTemporaryFolderType (and usually a
      volume type of kOnSystemDisk, though you would need an algorithm to
      search for other volumes in case the user is booting off a cd ---
      there's probably a tech note on this somewhere.).

      Unrelated note:
      For those doing active development on the mac VIM gui, I should note
      that back in October I did a quick Carbonization of the code, so it
      would run natively under OS X. I still haven't gotten around to
      submitting the source changes, and I probably won't have the time
      until at least the end of March. If this port interests you, source
      changes can be seem by downloading the package from my web site and
      diff-ing the changed source with the old source (it's only a few
      files, and they are marked).
      <http://www.skidperfect.com/programming/index.html#C_Code> I made no
      bug fixes to the code (it is based on MacVIM 5.7), just did a
      straight Carbonization.

      -Ammon
      --
      Skidperfect Software <http://www.skidperfect.com/>