[vim-mac] python support?

  • Patrick Curtain
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
      Hey All!

      I've seen a couple of messages come through on this list so I thought
      I'd go ahead and pop out my own personal issue.

      What will it require to have working Python support in VIM on the mac?
      I'd love for that to work and I'd be happy to help on the Python side,
      if it's needed.

      Second to that, I was thinking it would be SOoo cool, if we could
      *simulate* some command line kinds of tools. Things like when the user
      says ':!ls' that it would go, get the listing for the current directory
      and display it. That would be so helpful. Now, if it does that some
      way that I haven't seen, let me know. :)

      Thanks all! And I echo the statement from the message today. vim is
      easily the most important application on my powerbook. I use it
      constantly!

      --p

      --
      Patrick Curtain, Husband & Father ( i also write software )
      503 781 6199 patrick@... http://www.swdev.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
        * Patrick Curtain <patrick@...> [000309 20:47]:
        > Second to that, I was thinking it would be SOoo cool,
        > if we could *simulate* some command line kinds of tools.
        > Things like when the user says ':!ls' that it would go, get the listing
        > for the current directory and display it. That would be so helpful.
        > Now, if it does that some way that I haven't seen, let me know. :)

        Yeah, let's emulate all the Unix stuff and
        this other command line tool - "emacs". NOT!

        Face it - Macs are no Unix machines.
        Hint: MkLinux, BeOS. Nuff said.

        Sven
      • H. Eckert
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2000
          Quoting Sven Guckes (guckes@...):
          > * Patrick Curtain <patrick@...> [000309 20:47]:
          > > Second to that, I was thinking it would be SOoo cool,
          > > if we could *simulate* some command line kinds of tools.
          > > Things like when the user says ':!ls' that it would go, get the listing
          > > for the current directory and display it. That would be so helpful.
          > > Now, if it does that some way that I haven't seen, let me know. :)
          >
          > Yeah, let's emulate all the Unix stuff and
          > this other command line tool - "emacs". NOT!
          >
          > Face it - Macs are no Unix machines.
          > Hint: MkLinux, BeOS. Nuff said.

          What he really wants to do is take the source and hack on it
          until the text mode version builds with the MacOS specifics
          still intact to build a MPW tool version of vim. Well, I don't
          know whether MPW supports a real terminal emulation similar to
          xterm in its editor windows and it'd be a bit strange to put
          an editor as an application into an editor's window...

          But then since MPW went out of fashion but MPW tools continued
          to be useful (things like awk or perl) there is the "ToolServer"
          application that can be used as a shell to wrap around MPW tools
          w/o having the whole shell and editor around. It can be used
          from CodeWarrior for example to run MPW tools and scripts. It
          would be major cool to but the code into MacOS's port of vim to
          interface to the ToolServer application. This involves implementing
          Apple Events for vim.

          If done properly, any shell escape could be sent to the ToolServer.
          Don't expect the MPW scripting language to be compatible to /bin/sh
          though. It's similar but quite different, making use of many of
          the special characters in the Mac's character encoding. Things
          like double-tilde for filename globbing for example.

          Gruß,
          Ripley

          --
          H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
          ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.