Re: Practical development of Mac vim

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
      On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:57:10AM +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
      : Vim%Blue.Wizzard@... (Axel Kielhorn) asked:
      : >
      : > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
      : > comment on how we are getting on?
      :
      : There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
      : list.

      I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
      boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.

      Just my two cents.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
        Eugene Lee wrote:

        > On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:57:10AM +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
        > : Vim%Blue.Wizzard@... (Axel Kielhorn) asked:
        > : >
        > : > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
        > : > comment on how we are getting on?
        > :
        > : There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
        > : list.
        >
        > I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
        > boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.
        >
        > Just my two cents.

        Here are mine. I use W95 at home, Mac in the office, vim and latex
        on both. Vim works great on the Mac. I just wish I knew how to get it to
        talk to OzTeX and Fetch. Is there any chance of getting MacVim to
        communicate with other programs "the apple way"?

        BTW, thanks to all of you for making this work.

        --Benji Fisher
      • david craig
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
          On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
          > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this

          "Known" is the key word. I probably know 20 myself who use MacVIM with
          some regularity. But I'm the only one who reads the list :-) (I'm a
          bad citizen, though -- I don't really have the time to beta-test.)

          David Craig

          <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
        • Christopher C. Stone
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
            At 02/07/2001 06:57 +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrought:

            > > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
            > > comment on how we are getting on?
            >
            > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
            > list.

            Greetings,

            I really love MacVIM; unfortunately I was having problems with it a version or two back and haven't yet returned to it since updating to MacOS 9.1. (Downloading as I write.)

            I really want to see some basic AppleScript support for interapplication communication, buffer in/out without having to resort to the Mac Clipboard, setting window bounds, and driving VIM more directly via a utility such as OneClick than by just simulating keystrokes.

            It seems to be running stably omm, so I can give to some serious attention again.

            Best Regards,

            Christopher Stone
            ______________________________
            StoneWorks Computer Consulting
            ccstone@...
          • vim-mac-egroups-wrapper@vim.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
              > 1. How many people actually possess the vis, vim or vigor
              > < URL:http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?db=*&term=vim > to
              > compile either a 68k or PPC executable for themselves?

              Since MPW is free now, there is no limitation.

              > 2. I am have difficulty with Mac line endings in that some files which
              > the standard executable can read, mine cannot. For this reason alone,
              > I am reluctant to post my work, as it might be confusing.

              Well, post it for review.

              > 3. What objectives on the to do list achievable for the non expert as
              > I am? Here are some possibilities:
              >
              > a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior

              Vim 6.0t should be compilable with MPW. (With some minor problems. Bram
              already has the patch.)

              > b) Establish a 'prefs' file (which should contain a pointer to the
              > runtime folder, allowing the runtime folder, or pouch, to be placed
              > anywhere on the system

              I don't see this as a big advantage. Especially since sripts from other
              platforms will look at the standard locations.

              > c) Double clicking on a prefs or settings file should act as 'vim -u'
              > and bypass other initialisation.

              This could indeed help.

              > e) We could have a scheme for running plugins such as BBEdit plugins <
              > URL:http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/bbedit-plugins.html > or (much
              > more work?) MPW tools, <
              > URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer > but
              > perhaps also useful...

              Using MPW tools would be a great plus. I would love to call "sort" or
              some other tools on my Mac.

              > f) See whether Mindvision <
              > URL:http://www.mindvision.com/pricing/shareware.asp > would let us use
              > Installer Vise, as is the case with MacPerl, <
              > URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer >
              > another open source cross platform project that predates Linux.

              There is nothing to install. Unpack the archive and doubleclick the
              application.

              > 4. I have copied the vim 6.0t sources into my Mac tree, and the
              > project compiles, IIRC, without a hitch; but it does not run smoothly
              > because it appears not to grok the explorer.vim plugin, but the
              > error messages (basically that a backslash was found where it was not
              > allowed does not appear to be Mac specific.

              Maybe a backslash in the pathname problem? Vim doesn't like that.

              > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
              > comment on how we are getting on?

              There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
              list.

              Axel
              --
              There is nothing left to try
              There is nothing left to choose
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
                > But you should have encountered a few compile error... I didn't got time to
                > ship my deltas to Bram... anyway
                > Unless Alex already did so or CW 6 libraries are
                > better than CW 5

                In CW 2 I still miss "access" and in MPW I have a linking problem with
                missing .setenv symbol.

                I send some patches to Bram, most of it is in 6.0t. These two are
                remainig.

                > > a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior
                >
                > Good idea

                Already send to Bram, but the instructions are still missing. I will
                write them as soon as I get Vim compiled with MPW.

                > Another point of the Mac TODO:
                >
                > g) Allow a CARBON compile. Currently the source use some non-Carbon calls,
                > which are needed to support older version of MacOS. For some reason Vim seem
                > unable to compile without SIOUX which is not CARBONized (even in CW 6, i
                > think)

                I expect some rainy weekends soon:-)

                > On the backslash note, syntax.vim (from version 6.0r) need a tiny change at
                > line 19. Strangely enough, the / to : doesn't seem required just a few line
                > above... (Man, I really need to cleanup the filename convcersion code...)
                >
                > " Load the Syntax autocommands and set the default methods for highlighting.
                > if has("mac")
                > runtime syntax:synload.vim
                > else
                > runtime syntax/synload.vim
                > endif

                > No problem, the guy who brought back MacVim somewhat in sync with the rest
                > of the world should maintain his WebSite more appropriately. Shame on me,
                > for such bad house keeping...

                I no longer own my website. I left school and had to return my account.
                I already have a new address but nothing is there. I really should
                change that.

                Axel

                --
                There is nothing left to try
                There is nothing left to choose
                There is no greater power
                Than the power of VI
              • Nils Kassube
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Axel Kielhorn wrote:

                  > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
                  > list.

                  There are about five to ten downloads per week from

                  http://www.kassube.de/mirrors/macvim/

                  according to my log files.

                  Cheers,
                  Nils
                • Nils Kassube
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2001

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 11, 2001
                      > Are you in VI compatible mode? The option.h from 6.0r is causing the Vi
                      > compatible mode to misbehave, at line 60 the code should look like:
                      >
                      > # ifdef USE_CR
                      > # define DFLT_FF "mac"
                      > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "mac,unix,dos"
                      > # define DFLT_FFS_VI "mac,unix,dos"
                      > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO TRUE
                      > # else
                      > # define DFLT_FF "unix"
                      > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "unix,dos"
                      > # define DFLT_FFS_VI ""
                      > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO FALSE
                      > # endif

                      I wanted to include this into my 5.7 tree but had to change it back to

                      # ifdef USE_CR
                      # define FF_DFLT "mac"
                      # define FFS_DFLT "mac,unix,dos"
                      # define FFS_VI ""
                      # define TA_DFLT TRUE
                      # else
                      # define FF_DFLT "unix"
                      # define FFS_DFLT "unix,dos"
                      # define FFS_VI ""
                      # define TA_DFLT FALSE
                      # endif

                      Otherwise Vim wouldn't start with a vimrc in DOS-format.
                      But now it can't read UNIX and DOS files in vi-compatible mode.
                      Could you check if the same is true for 6.0? I can't compile it ATM.

                      Axel

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 11, 2001
                        Eugene Lee wrote:

                        > I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
                        > boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.

                        If you want to be really bleeding edge, you may join the 6.0
                        development:-)

                        Axel