Re: Practical development of Mac vim

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
      Hi Ben,

      on 31/01/01 14:58, Ben Fowler at ben@... wrote:
      > It would be nice to report that Santa Claus, the famous gentleman
      > from Turkey brought me a copy of CodeWarrior 6
      > < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/ > (new series), but
      > this would not be at all true; I was however able to use CW 6
      > for a few days over the Christmas break & have taken the opportunity to
      > make my own executable of Mac vim.

      Welcome to the small MacVim community...

      But you should have encountered a few compile error... I didn't got time to
      ship my deltas to Bram... anyway
      Unless Alex already did so or CW 6 libraries are
      better than CW 5

      > This was the fruit of the file, os_mac.c, that Axel Kielhorn
      > < URL:http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html >
      > kindly sent me, though it might be worth
      > noting that the file of that name in the main distribution is virtually
      > (if not absolutely) identical
      >
      > I am bursting to ask several questions:
      >
      > 1. How many people actually possess the vis, vim or vigor
      > < URL:http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?db=*&term=vim > to
      > compile either a 68k or PPC executable for themselves?
      >
      > It may as few as 3 or 4; in which case it might be considered
      > helpful if I wrote up what I had to do create my edition. Let me stress
      > that it was a little time consuming, but quite straightforward. The only
      > problems in the main sources were that I found that in some places
      > vim uses unsigned chars for C strings where I expected plain chars,
      > exempli gratia: char *getenv(const char *name); and one of the files
      > needed an extra header for something trivial like chdir (probably fixable
      > with a minor edit to os_mac.h or vim.h).
      >
      > 2. I am have difficulty with Mac line endings in that some files which
      > the standard executable can read, mine cannot. For this reason alone,
      > I am reluctant to post my work, as it might be confusing.

      Are your in VI compatible mode? The option.h from 6.0r is causing the Vi
      compatible mode to misbehave, at line 60 the code should look like:

      # ifdef USE_CR
      # define DFLT_FF "mac"
      # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "mac,unix,dos"
      # define DFLT_FFS_VI "mac,unix,dos"
      # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO TRUE
      # else
      # define DFLT_FF "unix"
      # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "unix,dos"
      # define DFLT_FFS_VI ""
      # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO FALSE
      # endif

      > 3. What objectives on the to do list achievable for the non expert as
      > I am? Here are some possibilities:
      >
      > a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior

      Good idea

      > b) Establish a 'prefs' file (which should contain a pointer to the
      > runtime folder, allowing the runtime folder, or pouch, to be placed
      > anywhere on the system

      Currently the runtime is found the same ways as UNIX or Windows, but I was
      thinking of adding in the future the following possible location:

      -the Application Support folder (if available)
      -the Preferences folder
      -the Documents folder

      I think the MacOS port should not differ to much from the other port. So I
      don't think we should create new files to find the location of the runtime.

      > c) Double clicking on a prefs or settings file should act as 'vim -u'
      > and byp[ass other initialisation.

      I totally agree on that one. We just need to find the perfect trick for
      this:

      a) use the Stationary file attribute as a "executable" attribute
      b) user a different file type than 'TEXT'

      The option a) whould work fine as long as we only execute file ending by
      .vim

      > d) I think that adopting Powerplant (proprietary)
      > < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/desktop/mactools/powerplant/ >
      > would be a strange move,
      > but there might be some purpose in using WASTE
      > < URL:http://www.metrowerks.com/desktop/mactools/powerplant/ >.

      I still think the best is to stick with the Vim core code.

      > e) We could have a scheme for running plugins such as BBEdit
      > plugins < URL:http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/bbedit-plugins.html >
      > or (much more work?) MPW tools,
      > < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer > but
      > perhaps also
      > useful...

      Could be cool, but in this concept the I think the most important is to get
      the interaction with the compiler to work perfectly. Vim currently have
      somewhat of a support as an external editor for CodeWarrior, but we still
      cannot use the quickfix, the make.

      I admit that to attact BBEdit user...

      > f) See whether Mindvision <
      > URL:http://www.mindvision.com/pricing/shareware.asp >
      > would let us use Installer Vise, as is the case
      > with MacPerl, <
      > URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer >
      > another open source cross platform project that
      > predates Linux.

      I emailed them a year or two ago, and it seemed to be O.K at the time. If
      the runtime file are to be "tossed" outside the main application folder,
      it's to be looked at more deeply. This would be also needed if Vim in its
      carbonization (see below) require some librart to be included to the
      distribution.

      Another point of the Mac TODO:

      g) Allow a CARBON compile. Currently the source use some non-Carbon calls,
      which are needed to support older version of MacOS. For some reason Vim seem
      unable to compile without SIOUX which is not CARBONized (even in CW 6, i
      think)

      > 4. I have copied the vim 6.0t sources into my Mac tree, and the
      > project compiles, IIRC, without a hitch; but it does not run smoothly
      > because it appears not to grok the explorer.vim plugin, but the
      > error messages (basically that a backslash was found where it was not
      > allowed does not appear to be Mac specific.

      Didn't look at that yet, but the previous versions of explorer.vim or its
      precursors were using to many shell command to even take a look at the
      issue.

      On the backslash note, syntax.vim (from version 6.0r) need a tiny change at
      line 19. Strangely enough, the / to : doesn't seem required just a few line
      above... (Man, I really need to cleanuo the filename convcersion code...)

      " Load the Syntax autocommands and set the default methods for highlighting.
      if has("mac")
      runtime syntax:synload.vim
      else
      runtime syntax/synload.vim
      endif

      > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
      > comment on how we are getting on?

      I'm just using MacVim when working on MacVim ;) They don't let me use Mac at
      work :(

      > Please don't think I am being ungrateful, asking for more and more
      > information. Effectively I would like to know what I should be doing next,
      > and what you would like to see from me.

      No problem, the guy who brought back MacVim somewhat in sync with the rest
      of the world should maintain his WebSite more appropriately. Shame on me,
      for such bad house keeping...

      Dany

      http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2001
        Dany -

        > Are your in VI compatible mode? The option.h from 6.0r is causing the Vi
        > compatible mode to misbehave, at line 60 the code should look like:
        >
        > # ifdef USE_CR
        > # define DFLT_FF "mac"
        > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "mac,unix,dos"
        > # define DFLT_FFS_VI "mac,unix,dos"
        > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO TRUE
        > # else
        > # define DFLT_FF "unix"
        > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "unix,dos"
        > # define DFLT_FFS_VI ""
        > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO FALSE
        > # endif

        I'll include this.

        > Didn't look at that yet, but the previous versions of explorer.vim or its
        > precursors were using to many shell command to even take a look at the
        > issue.

        The explorer.vim now only uses Vim functions, so that it is better portable.
        We are still working on this, we only recently made it work on MS-Windows.

        > On the backslash note, syntax.vim (from version 6.0r) need a tiny change at
        > line 19. Strangely enough, the / to : doesn't seem required just a few line
        > above... (Man, I really need to cleanuo the filename convcersion code...)
        >
        > " Load the Syntax autocommands and set the default methods for highlighting.
        > if has("mac")
        > runtime syntax:synload.vim
        > else
        > runtime syntax/synload.vim
        > endif

        This construction is used in many places. We wouldn't want to put
        'if has("mac")' in all scripts that use ":runtime". Please find out how to
        solve this in the source code.

        153. You find yourself staring at your "inbox" waiting for new e-mail
        to arrive.

      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
          On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:57:10AM +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
          : Vim%Blue.Wizzard@... (Axel Kielhorn) asked:
          : >
          : > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
          : > comment on how we are getting on?
          :
          : There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
          : list.

          I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
          boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.

          Just my two cents.

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
            Eugene Lee wrote:

            > On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:57:10AM +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
            > : Vim%Blue.Wizzard@... (Axel Kielhorn) asked:
            > : >
            > : > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
            > : > comment on how we are getting on?
            > :
            > : There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
            > : list.
            >
            > I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
            > boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.
            >
            > Just my two cents.

            Here are mine. I use W95 at home, Mac in the office, vim and latex
            on both. Vim works great on the Mac. I just wish I knew how to get it to
            talk to OzTeX and Fetch. Is there any chance of getting MacVim to
            communicate with other programs "the apple way"?

            BTW, thanks to all of you for making this work.

            --Benji Fisher
          • david craig
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
              On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
              > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this

              "Known" is the key word. I probably know 20 myself who use MacVIM with
              some regularity. But I'm the only one who reads the list :-) (I'm a
              bad citizen, though -- I don't really have the time to beta-test.)

              David Craig

              <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
            • Christopher C. Stone
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
                At 02/07/2001 06:57 +0100, Axel Kielhorn wrought:

                > > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
                > > comment on how we are getting on?
                >
                > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
                > list.

                Greetings,

                I really love MacVIM; unfortunately I was having problems with it a version or two back and haven't yet returned to it since updating to MacOS 9.1. (Downloading as I write.)

                I really want to see some basic AppleScript support for interapplication communication, buffer in/out without having to resort to the Mac Clipboard, setting window bounds, and driving VIM more directly via a utility such as OneClick than by just simulating keystrokes.

                It seems to be running stably omm, so I can give to some serious attention again.

                Best Regards,

                Christopher Stone
                ______________________________
                StoneWorks Computer Consulting
                ccstone@...
              • vim-mac-egroups-wrapper@vim.org
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
                  > 1. How many people actually possess the vis, vim or vigor
                  > < URL:http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?db=*&term=vim > to
                  > compile either a 68k or PPC executable for themselves?

                  Since MPW is free now, there is no limitation.

                  > 2. I am have difficulty with Mac line endings in that some files which
                  > the standard executable can read, mine cannot. For this reason alone,
                  > I am reluctant to post my work, as it might be confusing.

                  Well, post it for review.

                  > 3. What objectives on the to do list achievable for the non expert as
                  > I am? Here are some possibilities:
                  >
                  > a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior

                  Vim 6.0t should be compilable with MPW. (With some minor problems. Bram
                  already has the patch.)

                  > b) Establish a 'prefs' file (which should contain a pointer to the
                  > runtime folder, allowing the runtime folder, or pouch, to be placed
                  > anywhere on the system

                  I don't see this as a big advantage. Especially since sripts from other
                  platforms will look at the standard locations.

                  > c) Double clicking on a prefs or settings file should act as 'vim -u'
                  > and bypass other initialisation.

                  This could indeed help.

                  > e) We could have a scheme for running plugins such as BBEdit plugins <
                  > URL:http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/bbedit-plugins.html > or (much
                  > more work?) MPW tools, <
                  > URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer > but
                  > perhaps also useful...

                  Using MPW tools would be a great plus. I would love to call "sort" or
                  some other tools on my Mac.

                  > f) See whether Mindvision <
                  > URL:http://www.mindvision.com/pricing/shareware.asp > would let us use
                  > Installer Vise, as is the case with MacPerl, <
                  > URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/books.html#ToolServer >
                  > another open source cross platform project that predates Linux.

                  There is nothing to install. Unpack the archive and doubleclick the
                  application.

                  > 4. I have copied the vim 6.0t sources into my Mac tree, and the
                  > project compiles, IIRC, without a hitch; but it does not run smoothly
                  > because it appears not to grok the explorer.vim plugin, but the
                  > error messages (basically that a backslash was found where it was not
                  > allowed does not appear to be Mac specific.

                  Maybe a backslash in the pathname problem? Vim doesn't like that.

                  > 5. Is there anyone using MacVIm for serious work willing to
                  > comment on how we are getting on?

                  There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
                  list.

                  Axel
                  --
                  There is nothing left to try
                  There is nothing left to choose
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2001
                    > But you should have encountered a few compile error... I didn't got time to
                    > ship my deltas to Bram... anyway
                    > Unless Alex already did so or CW 6 libraries are
                    > better than CW 5

                    In CW 2 I still miss "access" and in MPW I have a linking problem with
                    missing .setenv symbol.

                    I send some patches to Bram, most of it is in 6.0t. These two are
                    remainig.

                    > > a) Fix up an MPW makefile to avoid the dependence on CodeWarrior
                    >
                    > Good idea

                    Already send to Bram, but the instructions are still missing. I will
                    write them as soon as I get Vim compiled with MPW.

                    > Another point of the Mac TODO:
                    >
                    > g) Allow a CARBON compile. Currently the source use some non-Carbon calls,
                    > which are needed to support older version of MacOS. For some reason Vim seem
                    > unable to compile without SIOUX which is not CARBONized (even in CW 6, i
                    > think)

                    I expect some rainy weekends soon:-)

                    > On the backslash note, syntax.vim (from version 6.0r) need a tiny change at
                    > line 19. Strangely enough, the / to : doesn't seem required just a few line
                    > above... (Man, I really need to cleanup the filename convcersion code...)
                    >
                    > " Load the Syntax autocommands and set the default methods for highlighting.
                    > if has("mac")
                    > runtime syntax:synload.vim
                    > else
                    > runtime syntax/synload.vim
                    > endif

                    > No problem, the guy who brought back MacVim somewhat in sync with the rest
                    > of the world should maintain his WebSite more appropriately. Shame on me,
                    > for such bad house keeping...

                    I no longer own my website. I left school and had to return my account.
                    I already have a new address but nothing is there. I really should
                    change that.

                    Axel

                    --
                    There is nothing left to try
                    There is nothing left to choose
                    There is no greater power
                    Than the power of VI
                  • Nils Kassube
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2001
                      Axel Kielhorn wrote:

                      > There are about 20 known users, I don't think most of them read this
                      > list.

                      There are about five to ten downloads per week from

                      http://www.kassube.de/mirrors/macvim/

                      according to my log files.

                      Cheers,
                      Nils
                    • Nils Kassube
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2001

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 11, 2001
                          > Are you in VI compatible mode? The option.h from 6.0r is causing the Vi
                          > compatible mode to misbehave, at line 60 the code should look like:
                          >
                          > # ifdef USE_CR
                          > # define DFLT_FF "mac"
                          > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "mac,unix,dos"
                          > # define DFLT_FFS_VI "mac,unix,dos"
                          > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO TRUE
                          > # else
                          > # define DFLT_FF "unix"
                          > # define DFLT_FFS_VIM "unix,dos"
                          > # define DFLT_FFS_VI ""
                          > # define DFLT_TEXTAUTO FALSE
                          > # endif

                          I wanted to include this into my 5.7 tree but had to change it back to

                          # ifdef USE_CR
                          # define FF_DFLT "mac"
                          # define FFS_DFLT "mac,unix,dos"
                          # define FFS_VI ""
                          # define TA_DFLT TRUE
                          # else
                          # define FF_DFLT "unix"
                          # define FFS_DFLT "unix,dos"
                          # define FFS_VI ""
                          # define TA_DFLT FALSE
                          # endif

                          Otherwise Vim wouldn't start with a vimrc in DOS-format.
                          But now it can't read UNIX and DOS files in vi-compatible mode.
                          Could you check if the same is true for 6.0? I can't compile it ATM.

                          Axel

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 11, 2001
                            Eugene Lee wrote:

                            > I used to use MacVim alot. But I'm in that bleeding-edge power-user
                            > boat that's using Mac OS X now, and got Vim 5.7 to compile way back.

                            If you want to be really bleeding edge, you may join the 6.0
                            development:-)

                            Axel