[vim-mac] Re: vim on MacOS with multi-byte available?

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2000
      Dear Asai-san,

      * ASAI Kenichi <asai@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> [000307 09:06]:
      > Dear Mr. Sven Guckes, Thank you for compiling vim on MacOS.

      You are welcome! But the credit for this goes to other people.

      > I have downloaded it and now trying to use it on my PowerBook.
      > One thing that is quite important for me is multi-byte support.
      > Would it be possible to ask you re-compile vim with
      > --enable-multibyte and --enable-fontset options?
      >
      > If it cannot be done without subtle code modification, please ignore
      > this e-mail. I do not want to make you trouble with this when you
      > have other things to fix. If it can be done easily without changing
      > code, however, may I ask you to re-compile with those options?
      > (I have no compiler with me here...)
      > It would be very helpful for me to use my language on vim.

      Well, I am sure it can be done.
      Both Axel Kielhorn and Dany St-Amant have released a binary -
      maybe they can also maintain a binary with those features.
      Axel? Dany? [I'll CC this to the Vim Mac mailing list.]

      Sven

      --
      Sven Guckes guckes@... | vim-mac@...: Maillist for "Vim on MacOS"
      VIMMAC Info on current development: http://www.vim.org/macs.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2000
        Dear VimMac developpers,

        Thank you very much for making vim for MacOS, and thank you, Mr. Sven
        Guckes, for replying very promptly. Before the vim I requested is
        compiled, I would like to ask another options (if it is possible).

        In my previous mail, I requested the following two options:

        --enable-multibyte
        --enable-fontset options

        These two options are quite important for non-English support. Added
        to this, I would like to ask the following two options.

        +langmap (or HAVE_LANGMAP); around line 70 of feature.h
        --enable-perlinterp
        something equivalent to --enable-xim (i.e., control on Macintosh Input
        Metohd)

        The +langmap option is also very important when we *input* non-English
        languages. Namely, when going into insert mode, the language input
        method is turned on, and when going back, off.

        The latter two is my hope that vim on Macintosh will support them in
        the future. I think you need subtle code change to achieve them, so I
        do not insist on them very much. But if they can be done very easily,
        I want them quite much. (When these features are available, I think I
        can read my e-mails perfectly on my PowerBook...)

        Thank you in advance.

        # Is it easy to compile VIM if I buy CodeWarrior Pro? I might
        # consider compiling it by myself. VimMac can be the most important
        # application on my PowerBook...

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai