Re: Vim on MacOS X

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
      On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 12:29:55PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
      :
      : I've recently tried to edit a large uu-encoded MSword file.
      : That is, it's essentially just a big text file. And VIM quits
      : with an error-2 -- addressing error. I'm assuming I don't
      : have a large enough buffer, even though my Tex-Edit and
      : BBedit were able to edit the file. Obviously, I prefer VIM,
      : so I was wondering how I could get around this --
      : perhaps a place I can set the buffer space larger? Or is this
      : completely under the control of the Mac Info panel?

      I'd try the latter and give MacVim a larger block of memory. I don't
      know if it's been coded to dynamically request more RAM from MacOS.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
        Mark wrote:

        > I've recently tried to edit a large uu-encoded MSword file.
        > That is, it's essentially just a big text file. And VIM quits
        > with an error-2 -- addressing error. I'm assuming I don't
        > have a large enough buffer, even though my Tex-Edit and
        > BBedit were able to edit the file. Obviously, I prefer VIM,
        > so I was wondering how I could get around this --
        > perhaps a place I can set the buffer space larger? Or is this
        > completely under the control of the Mac Info panel?

        Oof, this sounds like a serious drawback.

        Vim uses an internal limit for the memory used. You can change it with the
        'maxmem' and 'maxmemtot' options. When the buffer is large, a swap file is
        used.

        If you make large changes, Vim can run out of memory, because the undo
        information isn't written in the swap file.

        Vim has some code to check how much memory is available, and tries to avoid
        running out of memory. But I have no idea how well this works on a Mac.

        --
        GALAHAD: No look, really, this isn't nescess ...
        PIGLET: We must examine you.