Re: ViM & Finder Woes...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
      On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:02:14PM -0500, Matthew Stott wrote:
      > In reading the posts about drag and drop and double-click operations
      > along with the dreaded, 'Hit Enter' prompt and the patch that works
      > but causes problems; I had an idea.
      >
      > Why not write a Docklet that handles the drag & drop operations and
      > can launch ViM and pass the files that way? It could also handle
      > double-click associations as well. Heck, one could code options into
      > it to open to split windows or not, list the buffers, indicate number
      > of buffers (like Mail.app does for email), move a buffer to a new
      > instance of ViM, etc.
      >
      > Hmmm Maybe I am just dreaming of a full blown native ViM.app for OSX.
      > Carbon made it possible port it to OS X in the first place but perhaps
      > it needs to get a new interface to a Native OS X GUI? Then again, I
      > am sure Bram would want to keep the code base as cross platform as
      > possible without having to manage multiple code branches.
      >
      > Just a thought...

      We already distribute gvim.app with the binaries on
      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ . This little app (supplied by Peter
      Cucka) opens a new instance of Vim.app each time you start it (by
      clicking or dragging an icon onto it). If someone can supply a Docklet
      such as you describe, I would be happy to add that to the binary
      distribution. If it is useful enough, there should be some way to get
      it into the official source distribution.

      --Benji Fisher