Re: Vim on MacOS X

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
      Jamie Curmi wrote:

      [copied to the vim-mac list]

      > I'm actually a Unix programmer, so the Mac is new to me - I only bought it
      > to play with MacOSX. However, looking around a bit I've discovered there is
      > a free compiler that Apple produce called MPW Tools - it seems that this
      > would be a better solution as I believe it has Make support rather than Code
      > Warrior projects. I also note that on the Mac Vim page someone has
      > suggested that this should be ported to MPW Tools for these very reasons.
      > I'm downloading the MPW tools now, and I'll look in to getting it compiling
      > on that. This could be quite difficult since no-one seems to have done it -
      > we'll soon see I guess.

      It's much better to use a normal Makefile, which I can edit myself (e.g., when
      a new source file is added). I can't do anything with the .sit.hqx files.
      But, if we still want to support CodeWarrior, we will probably have both...

      > Now MacOSX is a different beast. As I've said, with the two minor mods I
      > sent, the command-line version compiles up fine. MacOSX doesn't use
      > X-Windows, so their is no GUI version. However, X servers are available for
      > MacOS X, so the X-gui version should also be possible. A more interesting
      > thing would be to create an Aqua (MacOS X's GUI instead of X) for
      > it...another interesting project. :-)

      Another GUI would probably be a _lot_ more work. If there is a free GUI
      around, that one could be used. Isn't there a GTK port for MacOSX?

      - Bram

      --
      FIRST HEAD: Oh! quick! get the sword out I want to cut his head off.
      THIRD HEAD: Oh, cut your own head off.

    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
        On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 12:37:38PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        :
        : Jamie Curmi wrote:
        :
        : [copied to the vim-mac list]
        :
[...]

        I wouldn't worry about CodeWarrior support. But I think what's going to
        be more important is to turn MacVim into a Carbon app. This is important
        as Apple will continue to focus more on Mac OS X and less on OS 9.

        : > Now MacOSX is a different beast. As I've said, with the two minor mods I
        : > sent, the command-line version compiles up fine. MacOSX doesn't use
        : > X-Windows, so their is no GUI version. However, X servers are available for
        : > MacOS X, so the X-gui version should also be possible. A more interesting
        : > thing would be to create an Aqua (MacOS X's GUI instead of X) for
        : > it...another interesting project. :-)
        :
        : Another GUI would probably be a _lot_ more work. If there is a free GUI
        : around, that one could be used. Isn't there a GTK port for MacOSX?

        There's a long-abandoned SourceForge project:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-mac/

        Better yet, there's a site for the Mac port of GIMP, with lots of recent
        links regarding Mac OS X:

        http://www.MacGIMP.com/

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
          I've recently tried to edit a large uu-encoded MSword file.
          That is, it's essentially just a big text file. And VIM quits
          with an error-2 -- addressing error. I'm assuming I don't
          have a large enough buffer, even though my Tex-Edit and
          BBedit were able to edit the file. Obviously, I prefer VIM,
          so I was wondering how I could get around this --
          perhaps a place I can set the buffer space larger? Or is this
          completely under the control of the Mac Info panel?

          Mark
        • Eugene Lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
            On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 12:29:55PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
            :
            : I've recently tried to edit a large uu-encoded MSword file.
            : That is, it's essentially just a big text file. And VIM quits
            : with an error-2 -- addressing error. I'm assuming I don't
            : have a large enough buffer, even though my Tex-Edit and
            : BBedit were able to edit the file. Obviously, I prefer VIM,
            : so I was wondering how I could get around this --
            : perhaps a place I can set the buffer space larger? Or is this
            : completely under the control of the Mac Info panel?

            I'd try the latter and give MacVim a larger block of memory. I don't
            know if it's been coded to dynamically request more RAM from MacOS.

            --
            Eugene Lee
            eugene@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
              Mark wrote:

              > I've recently tried to edit a large uu-encoded MSword file.
              > That is, it's essentially just a big text file. And VIM quits
              > with an error-2 -- addressing error. I'm assuming I don't
              > have a large enough buffer, even though my Tex-Edit and
              > BBedit were able to edit the file. Obviously, I prefer VIM,
              > so I was wondering how I could get around this --
              > perhaps a place I can set the buffer space larger? Or is this
              > completely under the control of the Mac Info panel?

              Oof, this sounds like a serious drawback.

              Vim uses an internal limit for the memory used. You can change it with the
              'maxmem' and 'maxmemtot' options. When the buffer is large, a swap file is
              used.

              If you make large changes, Vim can run out of memory, because the undo
              information isn't written in the swap file.

              Vim has some code to check how much memory is available, and tries to avoid
              running out of memory. But I have no idea how well this works on a Mac.

              --
              GALAHAD: No look, really, this isn't nescess ...
              PIGLET: We must examine you.