Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

how to copy into system clipboard

Expand Messages
  • Li Xue
    Hello, Does anyone know how to copy text from vim into system clipboard? I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system. I tried +y and
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello,

      Does anyone know how to copy text from vim into system clipboard? I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system. 

      I tried +y and tried *y, but still could not copy the text into the system clipboard.

      Thanks.

      Li

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
       
      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    • Phil Dobbin
      ... Try: *y to yank to clipboard or, failing that, select what you want & use cmd-C. MacVim respects Apple s HIG. Cheers, Phil... -- currently (ab)using Arch
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        On 15/11/2013 09:54, Li Xue wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Does anyone know how to copy text from vim into system clipboard? I am
        > using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system.
        >
        > I tried +y and tried *y, but still could not copy the text into the
        > system clipboard.

        Try:

        "*y

        to yank to clipboard or, failing that, select what you want & use cmd-C.
        MacVim respects Apple's HIG.

        Cheers,

        Phil...

        --
        currently (ab)using
        Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
        & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
        Quantal & Raring
        GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      • Kyle Lippincott
        I think this won t work, because the terminal vim has no method of communicating with the mac clipboard. They re using the apple-provided vim, and also using
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          I think this won't work, because the terminal vim has no method of communicating with the mac clipboard.  They're using the apple-provided vim, and also using a separate terminal app (so if there WAS some magic with Terminal.app + apple's vim, it's become less likely to work, but I don't think there is).




          On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
          On 15/11/2013 09:54, Li Xue wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Does anyone know how to copy text from vim into system clipboard? I am
          > using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system.
          >
          > I tried +y and tried *y, but still could not copy the text into the
          > system clipboard.

          Try:

          "*y

          to yank to clipboard or, failing that, select what you want & use cmd-C.
          MacVim respects Apple's HIG.

          Cheers,

            Phil...

          --
          currently (ab)using
          Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
          & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
          Quantal & Raring
          GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
           
          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
        • Phil Dobbin
          ... Selecting & Cmd-C works on my terminal Vim (iTerm2 & Vim 7.4.). Also OP has posted this to MacVim & that has full clipboard integration with the System
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            On 16/11/2013 09:56, Kyle Lippincott wrote:

            > I think this won't work, because the terminal vim has no method of
            > communicating with the mac clipboard. They're using the apple-provided
            > vim, and also using a separate terminal app (so if there WAS some magic
            > with Terminal.app + apple's vim, it's become less likely to work, but I
            > don't think there is).

            Selecting & Cmd-C works on my terminal Vim (iTerm2 & Vim 7.4.).

            Also OP has posted this to MacVim & that has full clipboard integration
            with the System clipboard so maybe installing MacVim is the way to go in
            this particular instance.

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            --
            currently (ab)using
            Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
            & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
            Quantal & Raring
            GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
          • Bee
            The OP said I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system To determine if that version of vim has access to the clipboard, type the
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              The OP said 'I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system'

              To determine if that version of vim has access to the clipboard, type the following on the vim command line:

              echo has("clipboard")

              If it returned '0' then there is no clipboard support.

              Bill

              --
              --
              You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

              ---
              You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
              To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
              For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
            • Phil Dobbin
              ... Apple s Vim on Snow Leopard is 7.2.108 which is ancient & is indeed -clipboard. I use Mac Ports s terminal Vim: 7.4.52 which is +clipboard. Best solution?
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                On 16/11/2013 16:07, Bee wrote:

                > The OP said 'I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system'
                >
                > To determine if that version of vim has access to the clipboard, type the following on the vim command line:
                >
                > echo has("clipboard")
                >
                > If it returned '0' then there is no clipboard support.

                Apple's Vim on Snow Leopard is 7.2.108 which is ancient & is indeed
                -clipboard. I use Mac Ports's terminal Vim: 7.4.52 which is +clipboard.

                Best solution? Install MacVim: <https://code.google.com/p/macvim/> or
                compile from source for terminal Vim from:
                <http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php>.

                Both come with +clipboard as default.

                Cheers,

                Phil...

                --
                currently (ab)using
                Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
                & That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
                Quantal & Raring
                GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


                --
                --
                You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                ---
                You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
              • Carl Jacobsen
                Indeed, the system vim has no clipboard support/access, and copying with Cmd-C sometimes has trouble with line boundaries and certainly can t deal with more
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Indeed, the system vim has no clipboard support/access, and copying
                  with Cmd-C sometimes has trouble with line boundaries and certainly
                  can't deal with more than a screenful, so:

                  - Install and use the full GUI MacVim (it really is very nice), or,

                  - Install MacVim, then run "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
                  instead of "vim"; this will bring most of MacVim's goodness (including
                  clipboard access and more colors for syntax highlighting) to terminal
                  windows, or,

                  - write your selected text to the command "!pbcopy", which will put it
                  on the system clipboard (I've used This often when I find that I've
                  started something in the OS-supplied vim that I want to move over to
                  MacVim).

                  In the latter two cases, you can write shell commands or vim scripts
                  to make the change nearly transparent. 

                  Cheers,
                  Carl


                  On Nov 15, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Li Xue <me.lixue@...> wrote:

                  Hello,

                  Does anyone know how to copy text from vim into system clipboard? I am using iterm2 with the vim that comes with the Mac OS X system. 

                  I tried +y and tried *y, but still could not copy the text into the system clipboard.

                  Thanks.

                  Li

                  --
                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                   
                  ---
                  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                  For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

                  --
                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                   
                  ---
                  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                  For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                • Benjamin Klein
                  ... I use the Apple-provided Vim on OS X with both Terminal and iTerm2. I have this in my ~/.vimrc: In visual mode, use Y to copy to system clipboard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 16, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:56 AM, Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> wrote:

                    I think this won't work, because the terminal vim has no method of communicating with the mac clipboard.  They're using the apple-provided vim, and also using a separate terminal app (so if there WAS some magic with Terminal.app + apple's vim, it's become less likely to work, but I don't think there is).

                    I use the Apple-provided Vim on OS X with both Terminal and iTerm2. I have this in my ~/.vimrc:

                    " In visual mode, use Y to copy to system clipboard
                    vnoremap Y "*y

                    " In normal mode, do the same with the current line
                    nnoremap Y "*yy

                    So with a visual selection, I can use Y to copy to OS X’s clipboard (and without a selection, I can use it in normal mode to copy the current line likewise). I can confirm that it works -- I just opened my ~/.vimrc in Terminal and used Y to copy those lines so I could paste them here in Mail.

                    Ben

                    --
                    b

                    --
                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                     
                    ---
                    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                  • Li Xue
                    ... Many thanks, Carl. It is very helpful! -- -- You received this message from the vim_mac maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:35:05 PM UTC+1, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
                      > Indeed, the system vim has no clipboard support/access, and copying
                      > with Cmd-C sometimes has trouble with line boundaries and certainly
                      > can't deal with more than a screenful, so:
                      >
                      >
                      > - Install and use the full GUI MacVim (it really is very nice), or,
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > - Install MacVim, then run "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
                      > instead of "vim"; this will bring most of MacVim's goodness (including
                      > clipboard access and more colors for syntax highlighting) to terminal
                      > windows, or,
                      >
                      >
                      > - write your selected text to the command "!pbcopy", which will put it
                      > on the system clipboard (I've used This often when I find that I've
                      > started something in the OS-supplied vim that I want to move over to
                      > MacVim).
                      >
                      >
                      > In the latter two cases, you can write shell commands or vim scripts
                      > to make the change nearly transparent. 
                      >
                      >

                      Many thanks, Carl. It is very helpful!

                      --
                      --
                      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                      ---
                      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                    • Colin Su
                      if someone want to access system clipboard without compiling VIM, you could try the plugin we wrote. https://github.com/georgefs/vim-copycat -- { greeting:
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 17, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        if someone want to access system clipboard without compiling VIM, you could try the plugin we wrote.



                        -- 
                        {
                            greeting"Have a nice day!",
                            name"Colin Su",
                            nickname"LittleQ",
                            email"littleq0903@...",
                            website"http://about.me/littleq",
                            titles: [
                                ["Organizer""Google Developer Group Taipei"]
                                ["Tagtoo""Software Engineer"],
                                ["CS@National Chengchi University""Student"]
                            ]
                        }

                        On Monday, November 18, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Li Xue wrote:

                        On Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:35:05 PM UTC+1, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
                        Indeed, the system vim has no clipboard support/access, and copying
                        with Cmd-C sometimes has trouble with line boundaries and certainly
                        can't deal with more than a screenful, so:


                        - Install and use the full GUI MacVim (it really is very nice), or,



                        - Install MacVim, then run "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
                        instead of "vim"; this will bring most of MacVim's goodness (including
                        clipboard access and more colors for syntax highlighting) to terminal
                        windows, or,


                        - write your selected text to the command "!pbcopy", which will put it
                        on the system clipboard (I've used This often when I find that I've
                        started something in the OS-supplied vim that I want to move over to
                        MacVim).


                        In the latter two cases, you can write shell commands or vim scripts
                        to make the change nearly transparent. 

                        Many thanks, Carl. It is very helpful!

                        --
                        --
                        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                        ---
                        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....

                        --
                        --
                        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                         
                        ---
                        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                      • Bee
                        ... How do you write selected text to !pbcopy ? Bill -- -- You received this message from the vim_mac maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 18, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > write your selected text to the command "!pbcopy",
                          > will put it on the system clipboard

                          How do you 'write' selected text to "!pbcopy"?

                          Bill

                          --
                          --
                          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                          ---
                          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                        • Carl Jacobsen
                          ... The OS X command pbcopy reads from stdin, and puts whatever it gets onto the system clipboard. How you use it depends on how you ve selected your text.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 19, 2013
                          • 0 Attachment
                            On Nov 18, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

                            >> write your selected text to the command "!pbcopy",
                            >> will put it on the system clipboard
                            >
                            > How do you 'write' selected text to "!pbcopy"?

                            The OS X command "pbcopy" reads from stdin, and puts whatever it gets
                            onto the system clipboard. How you use it depends on how you've
                            selected your text. To put the entire current buffer onto the
                            clipboard:

                            :w !pbcopy

                            To put a range of lines onto the clipboard, use commands like:

                            :5,10w !pbcopy
                            :.,$w !pbcopy
                            .'a,'bw !pbcopy
                            :'<,'>w !pbcopy

                            You could also put something like this in your ~/.vimrc:

                            nnoremap <silent> <Leader>c :Copy<CR>
                            vnoremap <silent> <Leader>c :Copy<CR>

                            command! -range Copy call DoCopy(<line1>, <line2>)

                            func! DoCopy(sline, eline)
                            exec ':' . a:sline . ',' . a:eline . 'w !pbcopy'
                            redraw
                            echohl ModeMsg
                            echon "Copied lines " a:sline "-" a:eline " to system clipboard"
                            echohl None
                            endfunc

                            ought to let you use "\c" to copy the current line, or select some text
                            in Visual mode and use "\c" to select it, or simplify the lines in the
                            second example above to commands like:

                            :5,10 Copy

                            Others here could probably improve the VimScript above; it's not my
                            native tongue.

                            Make sense?

                            Cheers,
                            Carl

                            --
                            --
                            You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                            ---
                            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                          • Bee
                            ... w
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 19, 2013
                            • 0 Attachment
                              :help `<
                              '< `< To the first line or character of the last selected Visual area in the current buffer.

                              I tried:
                              :`<,`>w !pbcopy

                              But got this error:
                              E492: Not an editor command: `<,`>w !pbcopy

                              Is `<,`> not a valid range?

                              --
                              --
                              You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                              ---
                              You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                              To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                              For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                            • Colin Su
                              it should be æsingle quoteÆ, so itÆs æ not ` -- { greeting: Have a nice day! , name: Colin Su , nickname: LittleQ , email:
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 20, 2013
                              • 0 Attachment
                                it should be ‘single quote’, so it’s 

                                ‘<, ‘>

                                not 

                                `<, `>

                                -- 
                                {
                                    greeting"Have a nice day!",
                                    name"Colin Su",
                                    nickname"LittleQ",
                                    email"littleq0903@...",
                                    website"http://about.me/littleq",
                                    titles: [
                                        ["Organizer""Google Developer Group Taipei"]
                                        ["Tagtoo""Software Engineer"],
                                        ["CS@National Chengchi University""Student"]
                                    ]
                                }

                                On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Bee wrote:

                                :help `<
                                '< `< To the first line or character of the last selected Visual area in the current buffer.

                                I tried:
                                :`<,`>w !pbcopy

                                But got this error:
                                E492: Not an editor command: `<,`>w !pbcopy

                                Is `<,`> not a valid range?

                                --
                                --
                                You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                                ---
                                You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....

                                --
                                --
                                You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                                 
                                ---
                                You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                                For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                              • Bee
                                ... I know
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 20, 2013
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:43:22 AM UTC-8, LittleQ wrote:
                                  > it should be ‘single quote’, so it’s  ‘<, ‘> not  `<, `>

                                  I know '< works for lines, but my attempt to use `< is to select a character range.

                                  :help `<
                                  '< `< To the first line or character of the last selected Visual area in the current buffer.

                                  Is there a way to write the CHARACTER selection to stdout? for use by pbcopy

                                  Bill

                                  --
                                  --
                                  You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                                  ---
                                  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                                  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                                  For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                                • Tony Mechelynck
                                  ... Ex-commands always act linewise on the range of lines you type between the : and the command name (or before the command name in a script). ... will yank
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 23, 2013
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:44:11 PM UTC+1, Bee wrote:
                                    > On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:43:22 AM UTC-8, LittleQ wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > it should be ‘single quote’, so it’s  ‘<, ‘> not  `<, `>
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > I know '< works for lines, but my attempt to use `< is to select a character range.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > :help `<
                                    >
                                    > '< `< To the first line or character of the last selected Visual area in the current buffer.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Is there a way to write the CHARACTER selection to stdout? for use by pbcopy
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Bill

                                    Ex-commands always act linewise on the range of lines you type between the : and the command name (or before the command name in a script).

                                    To act on a visual selection you could type "+y in Visual mode, but using :normal would defeat this because hitting : in Visual mode goes out of Visual and places you in command-line mode with :'<,'> before the cursor, so that the ex-command you're about to type will act linewise on the just unselected Visual selection. You can act characterwise on an object or a motion by including the object or motion command after "+y in the operand of :normal, e.g.:

                                    :normal "+yW

                                    will yank to the clipboard (i.e. "copy") the WORD at the cursor with no surrounding space. (Similarly, just :normal yW would yank it to the "unnamed" register.) Then you would have to find out how to put that out to your pbcopy command. One possibility (in a script) would be

                                    normal yW
                                    $put
                                    $,$w !pbcopy
                                    $del

                                    remembering that the $put command will add the register linewise after the last line (thus creating a new line) so the $ line number in the last two commands above will be one more than in the $put command. I haven't checked where the cursor ends up at the end of this snippet.

                                    The above snippet is valid because a WORD will never span more than one line. How to make it work for a multi-line characterwise yank is left as an exercise to the reader. (Hint: see "help line()" and ":help :execute")

                                    Best regards,
                                    Tony.
                                    --
                                    As a general rule of thumb, never trust anybody who's been in therapy
                                    for more than 15 percent of their life span. The words "I am sorry" and "I
                                    am wrong" will have totally disappeared from their vocabulary. They will stab
                                    you, shoot you, break things in your apartment, say horrible things to your
                                    friends and family, and then justify this abhorrent behavior by saying:
                                    "Sure, I put your dog in the microwave. But I feel *better* for doing it."
                                    -- Bruce Feirstein, "Nice Guys Sleep Alone"

                                    --
                                    --
                                    You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                                    ---
                                    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
                                    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
                                    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.