Re: classic vi on panther

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Culley Harrelson wrote:

      > I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
      > find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
      > editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
      > know where to find an old vi binary or source?

      The original Vi is not available publicly. It is part of the "closed
      source" Unix. Someone mentioned Nvi, but that is a BSD
      re-implementation of Vi with its own advantages and disadvantages.

      You can compile a tiny version of Vim, main advantage is that it won't
      use so many shared libraries (the GUI libraries use most of the memory).

      --
      A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer