Support Mac resume feature

  • Penn Su
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2013
      In Mac since Lion I believe, they introduced the resume feature that would let apps to resume the windows, and the unsaved documents state before quitting. I wish macvim could also implement this feature so that whatever windows or buffers, tabs that I have opened in macvim could be resume if I accidentally quit the app.

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2013
        On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 08:49:03AM -0700, Penn Su wrote:
        > In Mac since Lion I believe, they introduced the resume feature that would let apps to resume the windows, and the unsaved documents state before quitting. I wish macvim could also implement this feature so that whatever windows or buffers, tabs that I have opened in macvim could be resume if I accidentally quit the app.

        This has been requested before. That functionality can be mimicked from within vim by using various options and perhaps autocommands for some special occasions. Start by looking at ":help autowriteall", which should do what you want for the case of accidental closure. For automatic reopening of windows, look at ":h sessions", which would almost certainly work much better wrt to Vim than Apple's version anyway.

        I sure hope the Apple implementation of this doesn't get put into MacVim.

        -gmn

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2013
          On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM, wrote:
          > On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 08:49:03AM -0700, Penn Su wrote:
          >> In Mac since Lion I believe, they introduced the resume feature that would let apps to resume the windows, and the unsaved documents state before quitting. I wish macvim could also implement this feature so that whatever windows or buffers, tabs that I have opened in macvim could be resume if I accidentally quit the app.
          >
          > This has been requested before. That functionality can be mimicked from within vim by using various options and perhaps autocommands for some special occasions. Start by looking at ":help autowriteall", which should do what you want for the case of accidental closure. For automatic reopening of windows, look at ":h sessions", which would almost certainly work much better wrt to Vim than Apple's version anyway.
          >
          > I sure hope the Apple implementation of this doesn't get put into MacVim.

          Yeah, I think the consensus was that Apple's implementation is
          inferior in the case of Vim.

          That being said. Configuring Vim to autosave documents probably
          requires a PhD in Vim script, whereas the resume feature in other apps
          is automatic. It would be nice to have something in MacVim that was
          as easy to use.

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2013
            On Friday, October 25, 2013 8:39:40 PM UTC+2, björn wrote:
            > On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM, wrote:
            >
            > > On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 08:49:03AM -0700, Penn Su wrote:
            >
            > >> In Mac since Lion I believe, they introduced the resume feature that would let apps to resume the windows, and the unsaved documents state before quitting. I wish macvim could also implement this feature so that whatever windows or buffers, tabs that I have opened in macvim could be resume if I accidentally quit the app.
            >

            > > This has been requested before. That functionality can be mimicked from within vim by using various options and perhaps autocommands for some special occasions. Start by looking at ":help autowriteall", which should do what you want for the case of accidental closure. For automatic reopening of windows, look at ":h sessions", which would almost certainly work much better wrt to Vim than Apple's version anyway.
            >

            > > I sure hope the Apple implementation of this doesn't get put into MacVim.
            >

            > Yeah, I think the consensus was that Apple's implementation is
            >
            > inferior in the case of Vim.
            >

            > That being said. Configuring Vim to autosave documents probably
            >
            > requires a PhD in Vim script, whereas the resume feature in other apps
            >
            > is automatic. It would be nice to have something in MacVim that was
            >
            > as easy to use.
            >

            > Björn

            You could use

            :au VimLeave mks!

            then create a desktop shortcut to start Vim with the -S switch, which hardly requires a PhD in Vim scripting. It does assume that your Vim executable has been compiled with +autocmd and +mksession. The only problem AFAIK would be which value to set for 'sessionoptions' (q.v.) to get all you need and avoid unneeded duplication of code with, for instance, your vimrc.

            Or if (like me) you want to start Vim almost every time with the same files in the same windows and tabs, you could write a session script manually, with whatever ex-commands you would like to see Vim run after sourcing your vimrc, in order to load your "usual" session, bypassing :mksession entirely. The reason you might want to keep these commands out of your vimrc would ve so that you could run Vim from time to time with no saved session.

            See
            :help :version
            :help VimLeave
            :help :mksession
            :help -S
            :help 21.4
            :help views-sessions
            :help 'sessionoptions'

            Best regards,
            Tony.
            --
            With a gentleman I try to be a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I
            try to be a fraud and a half.