Re: classic vi on panther

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
      At 9:06 Uhr -0800 2004-01-31, Culley Harrelson wrote:
      >I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
      >find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
      >editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
      >know where to find an old vi binary or source?

      You can compile a small version of Vim.
      My small version is about 650 kb while a normal Vim is about 1 Mb.
      (These are 68k versions, btw.)

      Axel
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        Culley Harrelson wrote:

        > I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
        > find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
        > editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
        > know where to find an old vi binary or source?

        The original Vi is not available publicly. It is part of the "closed
        source" Unix. Someone mentioned Nvi, but that is a BSD
        re-implementation of Vi with its own advantages and disadvantages.

        You can compile a tiny version of Vim, main advantage is that it won't
        use so many shared libraries (the GUI libraries use most of the memory).

        --
        A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer