user help

  • creiderc@...
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2013
      This group seems to be used mostly by programmers, but there doesn't appear to be another group for user questions. I'm using MacVim on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 on a MacBook Air (i.e. with a trackpad not a mouse) and am having trouble moving the cursor to a particular point in a text without selecting something (a character, a few characters, a word, a paragraph). Is there anyway to disable the feature of MacVim that allows non-vi selection of text? I would like to be able to alternate between command mode and insert mode and never have the in-between mode that allows mouse/trackpad selection of text. I hope I've made my problem clear. (I'm an old Unix user and prefer to use the yank and delete commands anyway in vi.) Many thanks and apologies for using this group for a question that is a non-programming or compiling matter. Chet C.

      P.S. I didn't have this problem with the old vvim / MacVim on OS 10.5.8, but the binary I used won't run on the Macbook Air processor.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
        On Monday, September 30, 2013 4:21:35 AM UTC+2, crei...@... wrote:
        > This group seems to be used mostly by programmers, but there doesn't appear to be another group for user questions.

        The mac_vim group is for any questions specific to the use of Vim on the Mac — for newbies and programming gurus alike. Admittedly it is not always evident to determine if a given question is a "Vim question" or a Mac question".

        For Vim on any platform, there are two more high-traffic groups, namely vim_use for questions relating to "using" Vim, and vim_dev for questions relating to "developing" Vim (i.e., finding and fixing bugs, etc.).

        > I'm using MacVim on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 on a MacBook Air (i.e. with a trackpad not a mouse) and am having trouble moving the cursor to a particular point in a text without selecting something (a character, a few characters, a word, a paragraph). Is there anyway to disable the feature of MacVim that allows non-vi selection of text? I would like to be able to alternate between command mode and insert mode and never have the in-between mode that allows mouse/trackpad selection of text. I hope I've made my problem clear. (I'm an old Unix user and prefer to use the yank and delete commands anyway in vi.) Many thanks and apologies for using this group for a question that is a non-programming or compiling matter. Chet C.
        >
        > P.S. I didn't have this problem with the old vvim / MacVim on OS 10.5.8, but the binary I used won't run on the Macbook Air processor.

        I think that the settings described by the following help items answer your questions (for Vim on any OS):

        :help 'mouse'
        to enable or disable (Vim reactions to) the mouse in each mode;
        :help 'mousemodel'
        to specify _how_ Vim reacts to the (enabled) mouse;
        :help gui-mouse
        a full section about using the mouse in a Vim GUI (i.e. gvim or macvim)

        To Vim, a trackpad is just one kind of mouse: any differences are handled by the mouse (or trackpad) driver that comes with the OS.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        Did you know that there are 71.9 acres of nipple tissue in the U.S.?

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
          On Monday, September 30, 2013 6:25:08 AM UTC-4, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > The mac_vim group is for any questions specific to the use of Vim on the Mac — for newbies and programming gurus alike. Admittedly it is not always evident to determine if a given question is a "Vim question" or a Mac question".

          > For Vim on any platform, there are two more high-traffic groups, namely vim_use for questions relating to "using" Vim, and vim_dev for questions relating to "developing" Vim (i.e., finding and fixing bugs, etc.).

          > I think that the settings described by the following help items answer your questions (for Vim on any OS):

          > :help 'mouse'
          >
          > to enable or disable (Vim reactions to) the mouse in each mode;
          >
          > :help 'mousemodel'
          >
          > to specify _how_ Vim reacts to the (enabled) mouse;
          >
          > :help gui-mouse
          >
          > a full section about using the mouse in a Vim GUI (i.e. gvim or macvim)
          >
          > To Vim, a trackpad is just one kind of mouse: any differences are handled by the mouse (or trackpad) driver that comes with the OS.

          > Best regards,
          >
          > Tony.

          Thanks, Tony. There wasn't much info on disabling mouse functions, but I put

          set mouse=

          in my .gvimrc file and it seems to have gotten rid of all the problems I was having without disabling the mouse in useful ways. Specifically, I cannot now use the mouse to go to a different place in the text by clicking there (this was what didn't work before -- instead of just moving the cursor there it would select some text), but I can still click to select a word, move the mouse to select text (once it is in a place), and use Command-V, etc. to paste, delete and copy text which has been selected or for Command-V, text which is in the clipboard. Seems like the best of both worlds now as I'm happy to use the old vi commands to move the cursor (h, j, k, l, 0, $, etc.).