Errors with macvim install - it looks like the installer was unable to create the 'vim' directory, and MacVim.app can't find the executable.

  • Josiah B
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2013
      please be patient with me, I'm new to mac and only moderately proficient in Linux/Unix systems (hopefully that does not last too long)

      I tried installing macvim from Homebrew, but found that it ignored my rvm selected ruby and forced itself to compile against the system 1.8.7 ruby. Since Homebrew is a package manage and it selects parts of the config for me, I decided to compile macvim from the source, which i cloned off of github.

      The configure I ran was
      ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-python3interp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope --enable-multibyte --enable-tclinterp --enable-luainterp --enable-mzschemeinterp --enable-tclinterp

      and then I ran make, which SUCCEEDED and then make install with no arguments

      When I run $ open /Applications/MacVim.app/ I get the message:
      The application cannot be opened because its executable is missing.

      When I try to execute Applications/bin/Vim I get the following error
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color White
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
      E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
      E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
      E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
      E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkCyan
      E254: Cannot allocate color Black
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Red
      E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
      E254: Cannot allocate color Black
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightBlue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
      E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightCyan
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
      E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightRed
      E254: Cannot allocate color DarkGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
      E254: Cannot allocate color Cyan
      Error detected while processing /Users/<username omitted>/.vimrc:
      line 4:
      E484: Can't open file /Applications/bin/vim/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim

      so I tried creating a vim folder in that dir to copy runtime over, but I got an error because apparently mac does not permit having a file and a folder named the same in a directory.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2013
        On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Josiah B wrote:
        > please be patient with me, I'm new to mac and only moderately proficient in Linux/Unix systems (hopefully that does not last too long)
        >
        > I tried installing macvim from Homebrew, but found that it ignored my rvm selected ruby and forced itself to compile against the system 1.8.7 ruby. Since Homebrew is a package manage and it selects parts of the config for me, I decided to compile macvim from the source, which i cloned off of github.
        >
        > The configure I ran was
        > ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-python3interp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope --enable-multibyte --enable-tclinterp --enable-luainterp --enable-mzschemeinterp --enable-tclinterp
        >
        > and then I ran make, which SUCCEEDED and then make install with no arguments
        >
        > When I run $ open /Applications/MacVim.app/ I get the message:
        > The application cannot be opened because its executable is missing.
        >
        > When I try to execute Applications/bin/Vim I get the following error
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Red
        > E254: Cannot allocate color White
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Red
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
        > E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
        > E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Red
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
        > E254: Cannot allocate color DarkCyan
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Black
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Red
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Black
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightBlue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightCyan
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightRed
        > E254: Cannot allocate color DarkGrey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
        > E254: Cannot allocate color Cyan
        > Error detected while processing /Users/<username omitted>/.vimrc:
        > line 4:
        > E484: Can't open file /Applications/bin/vim/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim
        >
        > so I tried creating a vim folder in that dir to copy runtime over, but I got an error because apparently mac does not permit having a file and a folder named the same in a directory.

        It sounds like you've moved the Vim binary out of the MacVim.app
        bundle which you must not do.

        See [1] on how to build and install MacVim.

        Björn

        [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building