classic vi on panther

  • Culley Harrelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
      I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
      find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
      editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
      know where to find an old vi binary or source?

      culley
    • Eckehard Berns
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
        > I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't
        > seem to
        > find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
        > editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it...
        > Anyone
        > know where to find an old vi binary or source?

        Nvi sources can be found at http://www.bostic.com/vi/ or downloaded
        directly from ftp://ftp.sleepycat.com/pub/nvi-1.79.tar.gz. Or you might
        compile your own version of vim with tiny feature set to conserve
        memory. Just tested this out of curiosity, and both, vim configured
        with "--with-features=tiny --disable-nls --enable-gui=no" as well as
        the vim installed with Panther (invoked with --noplugin), use even less
        memory than nvi on my machine.

        --
        Eckehard Berns
      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
          At 9:06 Uhr -0800 2004-01-31, Culley Harrelson wrote:
          >I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
          >find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
          >editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
          >know where to find an old vi binary or source?

          You can compile a small version of Vim.
          My small version is about 650 kb while a normal Vim is about 1 Mb.
          (These are 68k versions, btw.)

          Axel
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 7:20 AM
            Culley Harrelson wrote:

            > I would like to install a copy of classic vi on panther but I can't seem to
            > find it anywhere. I am having memory problems and sometimes for simple
            > editing using vi rather than vim is faster. Fink doesn't have it... Anyone
            > know where to find an old vi binary or source?

            The original Vi is not available publicly. It is part of the "closed
            source" Unix. Someone mentioned Nvi, but that is a BSD
            re-implementation of Vi with its own advantages and disadvantages.

            You can compile a tiny version of Vim, main advantage is that it won't
            use so many shared libraries (the GUI libraries use most of the memory).

            --
            A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer