Re: slime/lisp and vim

  • chadhs
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 19, 2013
      On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:47:30 PM UTC-4, jml wrote:
      > > I downloaded slime for vim:

      I'm currently working on Common–Lisp on my Mac as well. Download Slimv as you already have and install "sbcl" via Homebrew. Steel Bank Common–Lisp is definitely the way to go as it's based on Carnegie Mellon University's Common Lisp. See this Lisp FAQ here: http://random-state.net/files/nikodemus-cl-faq.html

      With those two things installed you should be all set! The default mapping is your leader key followed by e then b to "eval buffer", which will launch a "SWANK" server via Terminal.app, and then execute the lisp code and print the result back to a split in your vim environment.

      Hope that helps some. =)

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 19, 2013
        Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

        > To all who developed vim for mac.
        >
        > I am a blind software engineering student and have been struggling to
        > find the right coding environment. I tried macvim last week on counts
        > of my friends recommending it, and once i turned core text renderer
        > off, though visual mode is not accessible to me, all the other key
        > commands do, which has really increased my capacity to navigate around
        > code lengthier than 500 lines. The experience is like jumping from a
        > physical dial nokia to the iphone 5S. This is awesome. And the more
        > commands i learn, the better it gets. thank you guys for this
        > application.
        >
        > Now on for a few comments, haha :)
        >
        > 1-voice over related:
        >
        > I've noticed that when reading through lines, vim does not read out
        > the last character, such as ; for endss of statements. It's not too
        > bad as i can just $i then check if the closure is there but i thought
        > i would mention this.

        Just guessing: Perhaps setting 'virtualedit' to "onemore" helps:
        :set ve=onemore

        > 2-When (i assume) the text reaches the bottom of the visible area, vim
        > has some difficulty scrolling further down. I use the /'string'
        > command to jump around, but when i'm in a block of code but it happens
        > to be at the bottom of the visible area, then either the up/down arrow
        > or j or k get clunky. To note, the system alert sound triggers so i'm
        > assuming this also happens to visual coders. Am i doing something
        > wrong here?

        Perhaps you want to use CTRL-E?

        > Apart from the above, everything is smooth. Obviously, i'm not a power
        > user yet so my requests might not be technical, but this might help
        > for other blind coders out there.

        234. You started college as a chemistry major, and walk out four years
        later as an Internet provider.

      • estebahn fallhallah
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 19, 2013
          It _definitely_ helps some...
          I DL'd and everything is installed (I _think_, although it's hard for me to ascertain whether or not slime is actually installed correctly).

          Can you give me a quick hello world ref for this usage?

          I'm not aware of what my leader key would be (n00b; sorry).
          I tried typing

          :((0 1 2)(3 4 5)) eb

          to no avail...

          Thanks...
          jml

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 19, 2013
            also...
            is this any different?

            jml

            On Sep 19, 2013, at 6:54 AM, chadhs wrote:

            On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:47:30 PM UTC-4, jml wrote:
            I downloaded slime for vim:

            I'm currently working on Common–Lisp on my Mac as well.  Download Slimv as you already have and install "sbcl" via Homebrew.  Steel Bank Common–Lisp is definitely the way to go as it's based on Carnegie Mellon University's Common Lisp.  See this Lisp FAQ here: http://random-state.net/files/nikodemus-cl-faq.html

            With those two things installed you should be all set!  The default mapping is your leader key followed by e then b to "eval buffer", which will launch a "SWANK" server via Terminal.app, and then execute the lisp code and print the result back to a split in your vim environment.

            Hope that helps some.  =)

          • Yuma Antoine Decaux
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013

              Seems like control-e doesn't work.

              As for settings for vim, i'm not sure how to start yet. Will get to it this weekend.

              Cheers,

              Yuma

              "Light has no value without darkness"

              On 20/09/2013, at 1:41 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

              Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

[...]

              /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
              ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
              \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
              \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

            • Shriphani Palakodety
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013
                Yuma,

                I am not very experienced in this area but I was wondering if you considered Emacspeak : (http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/releases/release-38.0.html).

                This is not to knock vim or anything but Emacspeak won the ACM dissertation award for its author.

                Shriphani

                Hi,

                Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

[...]

                PhD Candidate at Carnegie Mellon University,
                http://shriphani.com/
                http://github.com/shriphani

              • Yuma Antoine Decaux
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013
                  Hi Shriphani,

                  I'm aware about emacspeak, but emacs might be part of my coding environment later down the road as it requires a lot of configuring just to get the speech going when i can run emacs on my mac os terminal and pretty much get the same result with the os's default voices.

                  If there is a 64-bit GUI version of emacs though, i'm all for giving it a try.

                  Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

[...]

                • Niklas Lindström
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2013
                    Hello,

                    It seems :python is not available in your version of Vim. Do you know which version you have installed?

                    AFAIK, both the default /usr/bin/vim that comes with OS X and MacVim.app have Python compiled in by default.

                    Cheers,
                    Niklas

                    On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM, jml <mirths.wirth@...> wrote:
                    Hi there,

                    I am trying to learn LISP from within VIM and saw that it might be possible.
                    I downloaded slime for vim:

                    Then I manually installed everything, but it doesn't seem to work.
                    In the instruction set, it says that I need to have python enabled within vim, but when I type

                    :python import sys; print(sys.version)

                    from within VIM, it tells me
                    "E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version"

                    Is there anything I can do to test further?
                    I may have missed something more obvious in terms of slime's install...

                    Any help would be appreciated.

                    jml