use macvim as "External Editor" in XCode, but open files in terminal vim?

  • Eric Gradman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
      I use MacVim (homebrew) in iTerm2, in one pane (among serveral other panes). I tend to have *very* long-running vim sessions in that pane.

      I use XCode and Unity, both of which support using MacVim as an external editor. When launching an external editor from these applications, I don't want a GUI MacVim window to pop up; I want to reuse my existing terminal MacVim session. Is such a thing possible?

      My 20-year vim-in-a-terminal habit is a hard one to break.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2013
        On Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:25:47 PM UTC+2, Eric Gradman wrote:
        > I use MacVim (homebrew) in iTerm2, in one pane (among serveral other panes). I tend to have *very* long-running vim sessions in that pane.
        >
        > I use XCode and Unity, both of which support using MacVim as an external editor. When launching an external editor from these applications, I don't want a GUI MacVim window to pop up; I want to reuse my existing terminal MacVim session. Is such a thing possible?
        >
        > My 20-year vim-in-a-terminal habit is a hard one to break.

        Can you specify which editor command-line XCode or Unity will use? Uf you can, have you tried using the client-server functionality?

        :help server.txt

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        10. And even your night dreams are in HTML.