Re: MacVim forces last pattern search using vim flags

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013

      On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:04:11 UTC+10, anilg  wrote:
      > Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
      > I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
      > I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
      > I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
      > Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
      > It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
      > I think I may try to re-install MacVim.
      >
      > $ ps -ax | grep vim
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

      I tried to find stable MacVim 7.3 but the website has PHP errors.
      I got snapshot 70 of 7.4 for OS X 10.8 from Github (I have 10.8.3) but it doesn't respect my ~/.vimrc?
      I still have MacVim-7_3-66.tbz but I seem to remember there were problems so I didn't use it.
      I still have MacVim-7_3-53.tbz which is what I've got currently.
      I might try to re-install that again.

      You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).

      By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

    • anilg
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013

        On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 17:46:18 UTC+10, björn wrote:
        > You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).
        > By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

        Thanks Björn, that's great - feels like a lot of leads there - I'll go that route.