Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Problem, MacVim 7.4, rendering of Unicode supplementary characters in gvim

Expand Messages
  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
    ... Hello Björn, That fixed it. Many thanks. Ken ... ****************************** Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil. P.O. Box 540475 North Salt Lake, UT 84054
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      On 11Aug2013, at 12:50, björn wrote:

      > Go into the menu "MacVim -> Preferences...", select Advanced, and *untick* the box which says "Use Core Text renderer", and restart. Does that fix the problem?
      >
      > Björn


      Hello Björn,

      That fixed it. Many thanks.

      Ken



      > On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:
      >
      > Thanks to everyone involved for maintaining and updating MacVim, but I've found a little problem.
      >
      > Old Environment (works perfectly for me)
      > MacVim 7.3(53)
      >
      > Using gvim
      > Using a keymap with lines like
      >
      > t <Char-0x1043B>
      > I <Char-0x1042E>
      > n <Char-0x1044C>
      > aW <Char-0x10435>
      > aJ <Char-0x10434>
      > w <Char-0x10436>
      > z <Char-0x10446>
      > m <Char-0x1044B>
      >
      > that map simple keys and sequences of keys to supplementary Unicode
      > Characters (Deseret Alphabet). I also have a similar keymap for the Shavian Alphabet.
      >
      > Using a Unicode-encoded font that includes Deseret and Shavian glyphs.
      >
      > With MacVim 7.3, all works perfectly for me.
      > I can select the Deseret keymap.
      > The Deseret characters can be input to the buffer.
      > When saved to file (UTF-8), the supplementary characters are encoded properly.
      > The Deseret glyphs display properly in the gvim window.
      >
      > All was good.
      >
      > *************************************************
      >
      > New Environment
      > The only change is the update to MacVim 7.4(70)
      > Still in gvim, with unchanged keymap and unchanged font with supplementary glyphs.
      >
      > Now:
      > The keymap still works.
      > The Desert characters can still be input to the buffer.
      > When saved to file (UTF-8), the supplementary characters are still encoded properly.
      >
      > **** BUT, the Deseret glyphs are NOT rendered properly. ****
      >
      >
      > For example, if I activate the Deseret keymap in 7.4 and enter
      >
      > naW
      >
      > the keymap intercepts the 'n' and the 'aW' and inputs two supplementary characters to the buffer:
      >
      > <Char-0x1044C> (the Deseret n-letter)
      > <Char-0x10435> (the Deseret 'ow' as in 'cow' letter)
      >
      > The first character is displayed correctly using the Deseret n-letter. But the second character is displayed as
      > an empty rectangle.
      >
      > Similarly, if I type
      >
      > Iz
      >
      > the characters
      >
      > <Char-0x1042E>
      > <Char-0x10446>
      >
      > are entered. The first glyph is rendered correctly, but the second is displayed as an empty
      > rectangle.
      >
      > If I enter
      >
      > taJm
      >
      > it gets worse. The 't', 'aJ' and 'm' are entered as
      >
      > <Char-0x1043B> (the Deseret t-letter)
      > <Char-0x10434> (the Deseret i-as-in-time letter)
      > <Char-0x1044B> (the Deseret m-letter)
      >
      > correctly in the buffer, but the display shows
      >
      > the Deseret t-letter
      > an empty rectangle
      > the Deseret i-as-in-time letter
      >
      > In short, the _rendering_ of Unicode supplementary characters appears to be broken in MacVim 7.4.
      > I also tested with Shavian characters, and the results are even worse.
      >
      > If I save the buffer (created in 7.4) to file, the file is well-formed and correct (UTF-8, in my case). If that file is read in using
      > MacVim 7.3, all the glyphs are rendered properly. The problem seems limited to the _rendering_ of
      > supplementary Unicode characters in 7.4 (70). I haven't updated since MacVim 7.3 (53), so I don't know
      > when the problem started.
      >
      > Go into the menu "MacVim -> Preferences...", select Advanced, and *untick* the box which says "Use Core Text renderer", and restart. Does that fix the problem?
      >
      > Björn
      >
      > --
      > --
      > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      >
      > ---
      > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
      > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
      > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      >
      >


      ******************************
      Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
      P.O. Box 540475
      North Salt Lake, UT
      84054 USA





      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_mac+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.