Re: Set display font to large

  • Marek Stepanek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
      On 7/30/13 10:48 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
      > Hi Marek, it's not noise! :)
      >
      > I had the same problem myself, and, menus aside, you can also configure
      > things with your dotfiles. Here's mine for example:
      > ----
      > $ more .gvimrc
      > [16:34:19]
      > set ts=4
      > set sw=4
      > set sts=4
      > set expandtab
      > set guifont=Menlo\ Regular:h25
      > colorscheme koehler

      Wow this is impressing! Your colorscheme koehler is really interesting,
      but I commented it out :-) too exhausting for my eyes! And the "ts" and
      "sw" ... I suppose to understand, I have to make :help ts ... I will
      look into it tomorrow.

      Thank you for this nice welcome Chris

      marek

    • Kyle Lippincott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
        To elaborate a bit on setting the font in a way that your machine will accept (different machines take different font specifications), I've found the easiest method to be:

        :set guifont=*  (this opens up a font dialog box on most systems; choose the font you want, and then close it)
        :set guifont?  (with the question mark!  This tells you what guifont actually got set to)

        Then put it in your ~/.gvimrc:
        set guifont=<whatever output from ':set guifont?' was>   (without the <>'s :))

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013
          On 7/31/13 12:07 AM, Kyle Lippincott wrote:
          > To elaborate a bit on setting the font in a way that your machine will
          > accept (different machines take different font specifications), I've
          > found the easiest method to be:
          >
          > :set guifont=* (this opens up a font dialog box on most systems; choose
          > the font you want, and then close it)
          > :set guifont? (with the question mark! This tells you what guifont
          > actually got set to)
          >
          > Then put it in your ~/.gvimrc:
          > set guifont=<whatever output from ':set guifont?' was> (without the
          > <>'s :))

          Thx Kyle!

          > :set guifont?

          I tried this command, but got the answer: "guifont=" nothing else and I
          was confused of course. Now I understand: if you have not put a
          different setting, you will only get an empty answer. But how to get the
          default settings of MacVim? I would like to keep the default font and
          only change the size. And what is the ":set guifont" for the size only?

          Thanks for your patience

          marek

        • Chris Patti
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013
            Apologies Marek the ts,sw,sts and expandtab settings all tell Vim how to handle tabs.

            See the superlative Vimcast on "working with tabs" for more information.

            This site in general is a treasure trove of help for new Vimmers :)

            -Chris

            On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Marek Stepanek <mark_step@...> wrote:
            On 7/30/13 10:48 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
            > Hi Marek, it's not noise! :)
            >
            > I had the same problem myself, and, menus aside, you can also configure
            > things with your dotfiles.  Here's mine for example:
            > ----
            > $ more .gvimrc
            > [16:34:19]
            > set ts=4
            > set sw=4
            > set sts=4
            > set expandtab
            > set guifont=Menlo\ Regular:h25
            > colorscheme koehler

            Wow this is impressing! Your colorscheme koehler is really interesting,
            but I commented it out :-) too exhausting for my eyes! And the "ts" and
            "sw" ... I suppose to understand, I have to make :help ts ... I will
            look into it tomorrow.

            Thank you for this nice welcome Chris

            marek

            Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
            "Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar