Vim 7.4b ready for beta testing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4b BETA

      This is the second BETA release of Vim 7.4.

      A number of problems have been fixed since 7.4a. If no big problems are
      reported then I will release 7.4 soon. Please report anything that
      isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo in the documentation
      or a missing file.

      The biggest additions since 7.3:
      - A new, faster regular expression engine.
      - More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.4b BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.3 with:
      :help version-7.4

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
      Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
      The tag for this beta version is v7-4b-000.

      For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.3):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      The files available for download:

      UNIX:
      sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/unix/vim-7.4b.tar.bz2

      VARIOUS:
      help files converted to HTML:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/doc/vim74bhtml.zip

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.exe

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      Runtime files:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74brt.zip
      GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.zip
      GUI binary with OLE support:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.zip
      Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.zip
      Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bsrc.zip

      For debugging:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74b.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74bole.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74bw32.pdb

      Omitted in this version are:
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
      - The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      - The 16 bit MS-Windows version

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send a patch
      if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
      party because you're not in the mood.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
        On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

[...]

        Subject specific lists:
        Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
        Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

        Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
        already have given the answer.

        Reporting bugs
        --------------

        Send them to <vim-dev@...>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
        All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
        spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
        find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
        bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
        different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch
        if you can!

        Happy Vimming!

        Hi,

        I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:

        Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

      • Douglas Drumond
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013

          2013/7/28 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>
          Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

          Mountain Lion is ok, I'm finishing Lion and I'll send both to Björn in a couple of minutes.

        • Yuma Antoine Decaux
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013

            Just curious, is mac vim developed with objective c? I would like to know as though i really want a coding environment for my uni progression, none so far are accessible for the blind. You mentioned mac vim 7.4 beta for snow leopard. This is when the OS core transitioned to 64-bit. Can someone confirm the editing area is accessible to voice over users?

            Thanks, and best regards

            Yuma

            "Light has no value without darkness"

            On 29/07/2013, at 5:47 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

[...]

            Subject specific lists:
[...]

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 28, 2013
              On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:40 PM UTC-7, björn wrote:
              > I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:
              > https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads
              > Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

              Hi Björn

              I compiled 7.4b BETA with minimum required PPC G3 and 10.4.11 Tiger. Runs great.

              Would you like it?
              If yes, where to post? https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads

              Bill

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Bee <forth@...> wrote:
                On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:40 PM UTC-7, björn wrote:
                > I've uploaded a build of MacVim 7.4b BETA (snapshot 69) for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to:
                > https://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads
                > Targeted builds for Lion and Mountain Lion will appear as soon as Douglas gets a chance to build them.

                I compiled 7.4b BETA with minimum required PPC G3 and 10.4.11 Tiger. Runs great.

                Would you like it?

                Great!  Lets wait until 7.4 is released though as there are not many people on Tiger anymore and it does take up some of my time to upload etc.  I'll have to give you my build script as well to ensure that it is uniform with the other builds.  I'll PM it to you when it is time.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                  On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:

                  Just curious, is mac vim developed with objective c? I would like to know as though i really want a coding environment for my uni progression, none so far are accessible for the blind. You mentioned mac vim 7.4 beta for snow leopard. This is when the OS core transitioned to 64-bit. Can someone confirm the editing area is accessible to voice over users?

                  Voice over support is spotty.  If you disable the Core Text renderer in the advanced preferences, then it will read the editing area, but it is not aware of things like splits, the command line, etc, so I'm not sure how useful it is.

                  The source code (of which the MacVim part is Objective-C and core Vim is C) is at https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim.

                • Axel Kielhorn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Am 28.07.2013 um 21:47 schrieb björn:

                    > On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    >
                    > Hello Vim users,
                    >

                    > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4b BETA

                    Oh dear, this reminds me that I didn't investigate my crashing problem.

                    Well, here it is:

                    Vim 7.3.1184 works fine, 7.3.1185 crashes.

                    The change was adding

                    && *reginput != NUL

                    to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)

                    Axel