Re: MacVim forces last pattern search using vim flags

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2013
      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, anilg wrote:
      > $ ps aux | grep vim
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o test.txt
      >
      > See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!
      >
      > Most of the time I'm editing a different file.
      > Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match.
      > When can I edit out these flags?

      In case anyone got the wrong idea; what I meant was:

      WHERE can I edit the flags that MacVim uses to call vim.

      The "-o" is most likely because you've gone into the preferences and set it to open files "with a split for each file".  I thought that was what you wanted?  It does not open in separate windows as you wrote earlier.  You can get rid of the "-o" flag by choosing "and set the arglist" instead.

      The "+/" should not be there.  I don't know where it is coming from -- are you using the latest snapshot?  If not, try updating.  Also, go through the Troubleshooting guide [1].

    • anilg
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
        On Friday, 26 July 2013 05:52:01 UTC+10, björn wrote:
        > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, anilg wrote:
        > > $ ps aux | grep vim
        > > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
        > > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o test.txt
        > > See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!
        > > Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match.
        > WHERE can I edit the flags that MacVim uses to call vim.

        > The "-o" is most likely because you've gone into the preferences and set it to open files "with a split for each file".  I thought that was what you wanted?  It does not open in separate windows as you wrote earlier.  You can get rid of the "-o" flag by choosing "and set the arglist" instead.
        > The "+/" should not be there.  I don't know where it is coming from -- are you using the latest snapshot?  If not, try updating.  Also, go through the Troubleshooting guide [1].
        > Björn
        > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

        Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
        I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
        I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
        I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
        Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
        It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
        I think I may try to re-install MacVim.

        $ ps -ax | grep vim
        /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
        /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

      • anilg
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013

          On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:04:11 UTC+10, anilg wrote:
          > Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
          > I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
          > I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
          > I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
          > Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
          > It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
          > I think I may try to re-install MacVim.
          >
          > $ ps -ax | grep vim
          > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
          > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

          I tried to find stable MacVim 7.3 but the website has PHP errors.
          I got snapshot 70 of 7.4 for OS X 10.8 from Github (I have 10.8.3) but it doesn't respect my ~/.vimrc?
          I still have MacVim-7_3-66.tbz but I seem to remember there were problems so I didn't use it.
          I still have MacVim-7_3-53.tbz which is what I've got currently.
          I might try to re-install that again.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
            On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM, anilg wrote:
            > On Friday, 26 July 2013 05:52:01 UTC+10, björn wrote:
            > > The "+/" should not be there.
            > > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

            On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:04:11 UTC+10, anilg  wrote:
            > Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
            > I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
            > I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
            > I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
            > Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
            > It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
            > I think I may try to re-install MacVim.
            >
            > $ ps -ax | grep vim
            > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
            > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

            I tried to find stable MacVim 7.3 but the website has PHP errors.
            I got snapshot 70 of 7.4 for OS X 10.8 from Github (I have 10.8.3) but it doesn't respect my ~/.vimrc?
            I still have MacVim-7_3-66.tbz but I seem to remember there were problems so I didn't use it.
            I still have MacVim-7_3-53.tbz which is what I've got currently.
            I might try to re-install that again.

            You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).

            By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

          • anilg
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013

              On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 17:46:18 UTC+10, björn wrote:
              > You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).
              > By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

              Thanks Björn, that's great - feels like a lot of leads there - I'll go that route.