Re: MacVim forces last pattern search using vim flags

  • anilg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
      > $ ps aux | grep vim
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
      > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o test.txt
      >
      > See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!
      >
      > Most of the time I'm editing a different file.
      > Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match.
      > When can I edit out these flags?

      In case anyone got the wrong idea; what I meant was:

      WHERE can I edit the flags that MacVim uses to call vim.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2013
        On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, anilg wrote:
        > $ ps aux | grep vim
        > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
        > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o test.txt
        >
        > See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!
        >
        > Most of the time I'm editing a different file.
        > Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match.
        > When can I edit out these flags?

        In case anyone got the wrong idea; what I meant was:

        WHERE can I edit the flags that MacVim uses to call vim.

        The "-o" is most likely because you've gone into the preferences and set it to open files "with a split for each file".  I thought that was what you wanted?  It does not open in separate windows as you wrote earlier.  You can get rid of the "-o" flag by choosing "and set the arglist" instead.

        The "+/" should not be there.  I don't know where it is coming from -- are you using the latest snapshot?  If not, try updating.  Also, go through the Troubleshooting guide [1].

      • anilg
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
          On Friday, 26 July 2013 05:52:01 UTC+10, björn wrote:
          > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, anilg wrote:
          > > $ ps aux | grep vim
          > > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_3105526
          > > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o test.txt
          > > See the plus slash "+/" and the option "-o"? That's the culprits right there!
          > > Last pattern search is unwanted and unlikely to match.
          > WHERE can I edit the flags that MacVim uses to call vim.

          > The "-o" is most likely because you've gone into the preferences and set it to open files "with a split for each file".  I thought that was what you wanted?  It does not open in separate windows as you wrote earlier.  You can get rid of the "-o" flag by choosing "and set the arglist" instead.
          > The "+/" should not be there.  I don't know where it is coming from -- are you using the latest snapshot?  If not, try updating.  Also, go through the Troubleshooting guide [1].
          > Björn
          > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

          Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
          I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
          I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
          I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
          Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
          It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
          I think I may try to re-install MacVim.

          $ ps -ax | grep vim
          /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
          /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

        • anilg
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013

            On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:04:11 UTC+10, anilg wrote:
            > Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
            > I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
            > I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
            > I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
            > Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
            > It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
            > I think I may try to re-install MacVim.
            >
            > $ ps -ax | grep vim
            > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
            > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

            I tried to find stable MacVim 7.3 but the website has PHP errors.
            I got snapshot 70 of 7.4 for OS X 10.8 from Github (I have 10.8.3) but it doesn't respect my ~/.vimrc?
            I still have MacVim-7_3-66.tbz but I seem to remember there were problems so I didn't use it.
            I still have MacVim-7_3-53.tbz which is what I've got currently.
            I might try to re-install that again.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
              On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM, anilg wrote:
              > On Friday, 26 July 2013 05:52:01 UTC+10, björn wrote:
              > > The "+/" should not be there.
              > > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

              On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 09:04:11 UTC+10, anilg  wrote:
              > Thanks for your advice, Bjorn.
              > I've gone through full wiki/Troubleshooting again.
              > I removed *everything* including unrelated files and did defaults delete.
              > I'm on 7.3. Attempt to update gives "You're up to date!".
              > Still the "+/" is there - searching for last pattern when no-one asked it to.
              > It appears to come directly from MacVim.app?
              > I think I may try to re-install MacVim.
              >
              > $ ps -ax | grep vim
              > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_426088
              > /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -p /path/to/file/example.txt

              I tried to find stable MacVim 7.3 but the website has PHP errors.
              I got snapshot 70 of 7.4 for OS X 10.8 from Github (I have 10.8.3) but it doesn't respect my ~/.vimrc?
              I still have MacVim-7_3-66.tbz but I seem to remember there were problems so I didn't use it.
              I still have MacVim-7_3-53.tbz which is what I've got currently.
              I might try to re-install that again.

              You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).

              By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

            • anilg
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013

                On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 17:46:18 UTC+10, björn wrote:
                > You should be running snapshot 70 -- if you have problems with .vimrc then start a new thread and ask for help, but it should work.  Snap 70 fixes the problem of 53 where using "+" to open Spotlight searches caused a warning message (but the search term will still be highlighted if there is a match).
                > By the way, everything indicates that you are running some sort of program (something like a SIMBL plugin perhaps?) that causes Spotlight searches to be included in the "open" event that is sent when you open files from Finder.  Normally, this only happens when you open a file by typing in the Spotlight search bar and opening a file (in which case MacVim highlights the search term) -- this should not happen when you double click a file in Finder (and indeed, it does not happen on my machine, for example).  Hope that helps you track down the cause.

                Thanks Björn, that's great - feels like a lot of leads there - I'll go that route.