Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
      Am 14.07.2013 um 18:12 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

      > Another datapoint:
      >
      > I build Vim 7.4a9 on MacOS 10.8 with
      >
      > gcc --version
      > i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
      >
      > No problems here.
      >
      > On 10.6 I have
      >
      > gcc --version
      > i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

      And another one:

      Xcode 3.2.6 (The last version compatible with MacOS 10.6) comes with regular gcc 4.2.1 and

      llvm-gcc-4.2 --version
      i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.6)

      With

      ./configure CC=llvm-gcc-4.2

      the resulting Vim 7.3.754 does not crash.

      I'll build 7.4a9 probably tomorrow.

      Axel

    • Axel Kielhorn
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
        Am 14.07.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

        > Am 14.07.2013 um 18:12 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:
        >

        >> Another datapoint:
        >>
        >> I build Vim 7.4a9 on MacOS 10.8 with
        >>
        >> gcc --version
        >> i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
        >>
        >> No problems here.
        >>
        >> On 10.6 I have
        >>
        >> gcc --version
        >> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
        >
        > And another one:
        >
        > Xcode 3.2.6 (The last version compatible with MacOS 10.6) comes with regular gcc 4.2.1 and
        >
        > llvm-gcc-4.2 --version
        > i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.6)
        >
        > With
        >
        > ./configure CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
        >
        > the resulting Vim 7.3.754 does not crash.

        Build with llvm-gcc-4.2

        7.3.1168 works fine
        7.3.1184 works fine

        There are some changes to the regex engine.

        7.3.1193 crash
        7.3.1214 crash

        That's definitely all for today,
        I'm gonna watch football:-)

        Axel

      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
          Update:

          As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
          Vim 7.3.1185.

          And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:

          syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/

          It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
          from vim-pandoc.

          " Citations:
          " parenthetical citations
          syn match pandocPCite /\[-\{0,1}@.\{-}\]/ contains=pandocEmphasis,pandocStrong,pandocLatex,@Spell
          " syn match pandocPCite /\[\w.\{-}\s-\?.\{-}\]/ contains=pandocEmphasis,pandocStrong
          " in-text citations without location

          " syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/

          " in-text citations with location
          syn match pandocPCite /@\w*\s\[.\{-}\]/

          Axel

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
            Axel Kielhorn wrote:

            > Update:
            >
            > As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
            > Vim 7.3.1185.
            >
            > And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
            >
            > syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
            >
            > It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
            > from vim-pandoc.

            It doesn't crash for me. What text does it crash on? If you can make
            it happen with match() that would be ideal.

            > The change was adding
            >
            > && *reginput != NUL
            >
            > to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)

            Do you have a context diff for this change?

            --
            In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the
            Galaxy, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has already supplanted the

          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2013
              Am 29.07.2013 um 22:15 schrieb Bram Moolenaar:

              > Axel Kielhorn wrote:
              >
              >> Update:
              >>
              >> As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
              >> Vim 7.3.1185.
              >>
              >> And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
              >>
              >> syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
              >>
              >> It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
              >> from vim-pandoc.
              >
              > It doesn't crash for me.

              It crashes on Mac OS 10.6.8 but not 10.8.4, this may be compiler or library related.

              > What text does it crash on?

              [@pandoc]

              in the second line.

              > If you can make
              > it happen with match() that would be ideal.

              If I start vim with
              mvim -u NONE -U NONE vimkill3.md

              and enter (copy) the search string

              /@\%[\w\-]*

              I get a crash.

              without the * it's fine.

              With incsearch on I get the crash as soon as I type the final *

              Using
              /@[a-zA-Z-]*

              is fine

              >> The change was adding
              >>
              >> && *reginput != NUL
              >>
              >> to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)
              >
              > Do you have a context diff for this change?

              Sourcetree gives me
              Commit: 38388a218e4bc1dbc0475df3d74244034b669b73[38388a2]

              case NFA_BOL:
              case NFA_BOF:
              /* "^" won't match past end-of-line, don't bother trying.
              - * Except when we are going to the next line for a look-behind
              - * match. */
              + * Except when at the end of the line, or when we are going to the
              + * next line for a look-behind match. */
              if (reginput > regline
              + && *reginput != NUL
              && (nfa_endp == NULL
              || !REG_MULTI
              || reglnum == nfa_endp->se_u.pos.lnum))

              The enclosed file is even more reduced but shows the problem.

              Axel

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2013
                Axel Kielhorn wrote:

                > >> Update:
                > >>
                > >> As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
                > >> Vim 7.3.1185.
                > >>
                > >> And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
                > >>
                > >> syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
                > >>
                > >> It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
                > >> from vim-pandoc.
                > >
                > > It doesn't crash for me.
                >
                > It crashes on Mac OS 10.6.8 but not 10.8.4, this may be compiler or library related.
                >
                > > What text does it crash on?
                >
                > [@pandoc]
                >
                > in the second line.
                >

                > > If you can make
                > > it happen with match() that would be ideal.
                >
                > If I start vim with
                > mvim -u NONE -U NONE vimkill3.md
                >
                > and enter (copy) the search string
                >
                > /@\%[\w\-]*
                >
                > I get a crash.
                >
                > without the * it's fine.
                >
                > With incsearch on I get the crash as soon as I type the final *
                >
                > Using
                > /@[a-zA-Z-]*
                >
                > is fine
                >

                > >> The change was adding
                > >>
                > >> && *reginput != NUL
                > >>
                > >> to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)
                > >
                > > Do you have a context diff for this change?
                >
                > Sourcetree gives me
                > Commit: 38388a218e4bc1dbc0475df3d74244034b669b73[38388a2]
                >

                > case NFA_BOL:
                > case NFA_BOF:
                > /* "^" won't match past end-of-line, don't bother trying.
                > - * Except when we are going to the next line for a look-behind
                > - * match. */
                > + * Except when at the end of the line, or when we are going to the
                > + * next line for a look-behind match. */
                > if (reginput > regline
                > + && *reginput != NUL
                > && (nfa_endp == NULL
                > || !REG_MULTI
                > || reglnum == nfa_endp->se_u.pos.lnum))
                >
                > The enclosed file is even more reduced but shows the problem.

                Thanks, I'll look into it.

                --
                Tips for aliens in New York: Land anywhere. Central Park, anywhere.
                No one will care or indeed even notice.